Author Topic: COOK, Robert ( b1897) Northumberland & Australia  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
COOK, Robert ( b1897) Northumberland & Australia
« on: Tuesday 31 January 06 04:08 GMT (UK) »
I hope to contact  descendents of my great uncle Robert (Bob) Cook born in North Seaton , Northumberland, England in 1897 to Joseph Cook(1855) and Elizabeth Rutherford Wheatley(188-1911).

According to my 90 year old Aunt Elizabeth, Robert married Leah Downey and emigrated to Australia . They had  many children, one (of whom I have a photograph) was called Dorothia.

My interests in making contact are to both explore the "Australian connection"
and compare notes on any research done on the origins of the Cook/ Wheatley family in Northumberland.

Thanks and Best Wishes         Lumber-Jack
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COOK, Robert ( b1897) Northumberland & Australia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 06:44 GMT (UK) »

Hi Jack,

Bit of a long shot,but we have to start somewhere. An airforce -man named Thomas Athol Cook born in 1912, names Leah Cook as his Next of Kin when he enlists for ww2. in Tasmania Could  this  possibly be his elderly mother .

These are the sites where I found the information.  Have a look.

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Items_listing.asp?S=1&F=1&O=0&T=I&C=3

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/veteran.asp?ServiceID=R&VeteranID=880375

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Sue......amazing how you came up with that lead! I will now have to figure out how to track Cook's in Tasmania. I hope other leads
might be just as exciting!

Best wishes       Lumber-Jack
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 06 03:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert

Try the Tas archives site

http://www.archives.tas.gov.au/  also

Hobart Cemeteries
http://www.srct.com.au/search.html

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 February 06 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish,

I was able to find Thomas Athol Cook's burial record from your Hobart cemetery link and I wrote seeking perhaps further contacts from them.

Most of the Tasmanian sites seem to end about 1900 except for wills where I did find one possible (Robert Gordon....I will have to check).

Do you know where to go to get online data after 1900 for Tasmania? The Glenorchy Library is a great source but most of it is on paper( from newspapers). Did the census for Tasmania switch to an overall Australian census system after1900 or is it it not yet accessible?

Thanks very much for your help!       Lumber-Jack
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 February 06 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack

Apologies for calling you Robert - I must have thought I was talking to your ancestor  ;D

Apart from the very early Census data - pre 1850 - all Australian census information has been destroyed.

I was at the tas archives a couple of years ago and have vague memories of BDM data being available on microfilm after 1900 - but I can't remember - sorry.
The Tas library also has lots of information as well - especially early newspapers
http://www.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/
http://www.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/collections/Famhistory/BDMindexes.htm
But I'm not sure if there is much more online, other than what you have seen.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline poppies22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 December 09 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lumber-jack,
I have recently started research into the Cook family - Robert Cook is the brother of my direct ancestor - Edith Mary Cook b: 1883 to Joseph Cook and Elizabeth Rutherford Wheatley.
I have the birth certificate for Joseph Cook born at Holling Hall, Wylam 1855 to Thomas Cook and Upheans (nee Clark)   I had noticed Upheans (Euphemia) has previously been referred to as a "Morris" but not so.
Do you have any other information that could advance my research?

Poppies22

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Poppies, you are a direct line relative of the Cook family of which I too am one and have researched this line extensively. I would be impossible to share all the information, certificates and research online via this site which has already proved its invaluable worth by making this connection. Send me a personal message so we can share a lot by email. Best wishes cousin! Lumber-Jack
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline poppies22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lumber-jack,

Literally signed up to Rootschat a couple of hours ago.  Not sure of the procedure to follow and not very computer literate (BBC tags and all these faces looking at me!!)   Didn't think we were supposed to put email addresses on ??
poppies22