Author Topic: Family photographs - Lappage/marriage partners  (Read 3346 times)

Offline siriusdogstar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Family photographs - Lappage/marriage partners
« on: Tuesday 31 January 06 09:02 GMT (UK) »
I realise I am probably being VERY optimistic but if anyone researching the Lappage family in Essex and Norfolk has any photos hanging about at the back of a drawer somewhere I would be very interested to see them.
I have a few of my granddad, Sam Lappage, born in Heptonstall Yorkshire but whose father was James Lappage b.1866 in Copford which I can let them have in return.
I am also interested in any 19th century pictures of Copford, Birch, Stanway and Easthorpe plus Wymondham and Hethersett in Norfolk.
Thanks a heap - Susie
??? ??? ???

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Family photographs - Lappage/marriage partners
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 06 22:22 GMT (UK) »
If it is any help, I know the Copford Birch Stanway area well, and I suspect my father has tons of photos from that period stashed away somewhere....the problem will be identifying them.
I have one of Brewers Cottage London Road Copford early 1900s if it is worth posting.
I also used to live in one of the oldest houses on the Stanway Copford boundary.....unfortunately that was before I started family research, but I know some of the history.

AL
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline siriusdogstar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Oh, thank you so much - I would be delighted to see anything at all.  Tell your father I would be so grateful for his trouble if he could did a few out, too.
Its all very well this 'digging up of ancestors'  but it comes alive if you can get a picture (in this case literally!) of the world they lived in.  Otherwise its just  theoretical.
Are you able to email photos as attachments?
Thanks again for your trouble.

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for delay.....I have been struggling to use a new PC (custom built) which was continually failing.....I have made the supplier take it away for good and I have had to get the old one up and running again....No printer or scanner or files loaded yet....bear with me, please.
I will send my email address via PM.

Al
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline Jennywil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 August 07 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I dn't have photos I'm afraid but I am interested in your research of the LAPPAGE family in Essex. I've just found a link between Layham, SUFFOLK & Brightlingsea, Essex for my Josiah LAPPAGE, junior, who married Dinah CARTER there in 1836. I strongly suspect that his father was farming in Brightlingsea too according to a Will for "Colonel" Lappage shopkeeper of Layham where he mentions his brother Josiah senior there in 1837. I also think that the Essex & Suffolk LAPPAGE's are related,
Jenny
AUS

Offline siriusdogstar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 07 08:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, Jenny.

Your research interested me a great deal.

My Lappages are from the area to the south of Colchester - mostly Copford, Birch, Layer Marney, Fordham - although there are a few who migrated to the Maldon area.

They seem to have arrived via Stanway which is now a suburb of Colchester.  As the crow flies, it is just 12 miles to Layham but it might as well be Australia!

I'm convinced of the link.  The marriage of the first John Lappage in my tree has his discribed as 'of Stanway' which means he lived there but wasn't necessarily born there.

I am going to the records office in Chelmsford next month so, hopefully, I can get this problem resolved.  I may also find the link between the Brightlingsea lot and the Colchester Lappages.

Kind regards - Sue

Offline Jennywil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 August 07 02:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree that they are possibly all related. I'm collecting all the Lappage & varient entries on IGi & Pallot's Index and the films of the PR's I'm hiring in from the LDS. I have a John LAPPAGE, widower, of Stanway, who married Mary HOWE, widow in Copford in 1784. Is he yours?
Jenny
AUS

Offline siriusdogstar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 August 07 14:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, he's brother of my 4x great grandfather, William.   I think his father was John b.1835-ish and his father, in turn, was also John born around 1711.  It is the generation prior to that which is, I believe, the key one.  This is where I think the family began to break up and go in different directions.

William and John had a sister Mary b.1859 who had quite an interesting son(!)  He was hung for persistent theft at Chelmsford in 1814 and his case was cited in a government select committee hearing on the abolition of capital punishment for theft.  His name was William Potter.

I have all his details if you would like to forward an email address.

Kind regards - Sue

Offline Jennywil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 August 07 00:54 BST (UK) »
Sounds interesting!!
my e-mail is -
jenny.wil@bigpond.com

Jenny Williams