Author Topic: Is it worth the money ?  (Read 1925 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth the money ?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 13:19 GMT (UK) »
My families have expanded rapidly since I joined Ancestry. I also got a reduced rate & living in Oz discovered that I didn't have to pay VAT so that was a bonus. I have mainly used the census data, but this has helped me find many families pre 1837 as many folks born in 1700s are in the 1851 and 1861. Often when older they are living with or near children, giving probable married names for daughters.

I have also found many family members live adjacent which allows tracing of siblings of known direct ancestors.

I had many doubts about joining but when the 1851 was released and a discount offered I decided to try & haven't regretted it.

It could be worth waiting until they release 1841 - they may have another discount month  ;D

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Foz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Thanks very much.  Yes maybe I'll wait for the 1841.

Cheers,

Foz     :D
Dunmall - Kent                        King - Berkshire
Kibble - Buckinghamshire         Greenough - Berkshire                           
Licence - Suffolk                      Andrew - Cornwall                       
Smith - Leicestershire              Chandler - Derby
Webb - Leicestershire        
Newstead - Suffolk
Marshall - Suffolk
Islington - Croydon
Freeman - Leicestershire & Ireland           
Bradbury - Coventry
Fothergill - Yorks

Offline throckenholt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 13:50 GMT (UK) »
is there any indication of when they will have the 1841 ?

Julie

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 13:57 GMT (UK) »
is there any indication of when they will have the 1841 ?

I thought I had seen somewhere that they were "working on it" but I can't find anything at the minute. Guess I have assumed it will be coming - I hope it's before october, because that's the end of my 12 months  :D

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 February 06 20:12 GMT (UK) »
I have been on Ancestry for over a year, and to be honest it has been invaluable.

I have gained an enormous amount of information from it, and it is always my first port of call when I need to look for something.

Good luck

Paul
FLOWERDEW - Norfolk, GUERIN - London, HAMER - Wales, MARUBBI - Wales/Italy, HODGES - Cheshire, NOBBS - Yarmouth, Norfolk, WILLIAMS - Caernarfonshire, WILSON - Glasgow, WOOLSEY - Norfolk

Offline Kennington

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 February 06 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Foz

Like Paul I too have subscribed to Ancestry for over a year now and I use it nearly every day  ;D

It means I can scan pages whenever I like and if I see a peculiarity I can follow it up and be nosey :o with no extra cost.

You will often see things that intrigue you that you want to look at, odd spellings etc that you can't resist ;D

I have found the 1851 is a good search for oldies too.

I have the three monthly subscription but keep it renewed as it is very worthwhile to me.

hope this helps,
Mary
Searching:<br />DASH - Cornwall ;STEPHENS - Anglesey / Holyhead ;KELLY - Whitehaven / Liverpool ;CARRICK - Wigton, Cumberland ;FARISH - Cumberland ;MASON - Ipswich ;FISK - Suffolk ;PRIEST - Suffolk & SW London ;HAWKS - London & Thetford, Norfolk
SMITHERS - London ;RIDGWELL - Norfolk ;ELSTON - London ;APPLEBY- London