Author Topic: Sanitorium in Talgarth  (Read 49808 times)

Offline elizabethh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sanitorium in Talgarth
« Reply #27 on: Monday 22 March 10 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Does any-one know if there are  records of persons who died at the hospital and are buried  in the chapel cemetery.  My interest is 1962.              Elizabeth.

Offline averyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 22 March 10 17:26 GMT (UK) »
elizabeth there are records for the burials  at  talgarth  mental hospital, but you must go through the local health authority to prove you are a relative a death certificate of the individual because of the 100 year rule will likely be required also when a patient was admitted to talgarth they had a photo taken at that time , my grandfather john henry avery was admitted in 1922 and i have a picture of him, he died there in 1931 and was buried at the chapel burial ground there is no plot plan so the chance of knowing where on the yard they are is not looking very good. powys archives has that information.
avery/carswell/large/clark/miller/dollemore/plumb/humburg/kelk/kent in pontypridd/cardiff/ davies in pontypridd cardiff

Offline elizabethh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 22 March 10 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information - the person I am seeking was very close relative - if proof is required I can provide same, together with a death certificate. I realise that it may be difficult to provide exact details of where she may be buried, but cofirmation of the burial ground suffice, plus any other information would be good.  .      Elizabeth.

Offline averyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 22 March 10 19:43 GMT (UK) »
elizabeth the lady you would want to talk to at powys archives is Dawn Gill her e-mail is dawn.gill [at] powys.gov.uk she will walk you through what you need to do and will let you know if your relative is at that graveyard,Best wishes Bruce Avery
avery/carswell/large/clark/miller/dollemore/plumb/humburg/kelk/kent in pontypridd/cardiff/ davies in pontypridd cardiff

Offline elizabethh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 22 March 10 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Bruce for your reply - I will get in touch with the lady tomorrow and see what I can find out.    Regards Elizabeth.

Offline TomandEric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 11 August 11 10:34 BST (UK) »
I live in Bronllys, and often walk to that quiet corner of the churchyard where the unmarked graves lie.  A few of them do have small engraved  plaques attached, but many are just numbers.  If I can help anyone with an interest in those laid to rest here, I would be  happy to do so, and to take any photographs required.

Regards,
Greensleeves

Hi Greensleeves,  I've only just found this website and joined! Hope you are still in Bronllys?  My Dad missed WWII as he had TB and stayed in the sanatorium there.  In fact, I was told he had one of the first operations on the lung there (but not sure if that's just a family story).  Do you know if there are any patient records available where I could find out any more about my Dad's stay there?  From previous messages, you seem to be quite an authority on the area and a great help to lots of people!

Regards,
TomandEric

Offline averyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 11 August 11 17:05 BST (UK) »
try local health unit for journal of relatives care during his stay at talgarth should give you addmission date as well as discharge if he didn,t die at the facility,  perhaps a picture of the patient on admission   Powys archives in brecknockshire has address, also in earlier postn  here.

Offline TomandEric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 12 August 11 09:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help - will try what you suggest.

Offline averyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 12 August 11 14:58 BST (UK) »
my pleasure  good luck