Author Topic: Hit a brick wall - Help and Guidance Please  (Read 2486 times)

Offline pipmales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hit a brick wall - Help and Guidance Please
« on: Wednesday 22 September 04 13:06 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find details of my wife’s side of the family tree and have come to a complete stop. I wonder if any of you illustrious enealogists/researchers out there can give me a push in the right direction.

The problem may be that names and dates may have been changed to cover up a scandal. It is understood that some way back one of her relations was a footman at Warwick Castle and got a housekeeper/housemaid “into trouble” and they ran off together.

Known facts are that my wife’s Grandmother was Betsy Mitchell who married firstly William James Seaton and had three children, Edward, Elizabeth and George. When William died she married Thomas Drake and had five more children, Edith, John, Elsie Thomas and Lily (my wife’s late mother).

I am stuck trying to get her second marriage certificate to enable me to establish names of the generation before. I’ve looked on both Freembd and 1837online but the only near match doesn’t seem to fit.

In the 1881 census I have at 14 Marcer Street Manchester.

Edward Mitchell Head, B:Warwick, Gas works labourer, Aged 36
Sarah A Mitchell Wife, B:Warwick Aged 35
Betsy Mitchell Dau, B:Warwick Cop Reeler Aged 19

Her first marriage on 15/6/1884 ties in nicely it was at St Philip in Manchester (Manchester, 8d, 390)

She was shown as Betsy Mitchell Aged 20 of 14 Mercer Street marrying William James Seaton, Aged 21 of 17 Lind Street. Her father was shown as Edward Mitchell a labourer.

In the 1891 census I have at 39 Edeusor Street Manchester

William J Seaton Head 27 b Manchester Cott Maker up in Warehouse
Betsey Seaton Wife 26 b Warwick Warwickshire
Edward Seaton son 6 b Manchester Lancs
Elizabeth Seaton dau 4 b Manchester Lancs
George Seaton son 1 b Manchester Lancs

And at 42 Edeusor Street I have

Mitchell Edward 46 Warwick, Warwickshire Head Beswick Lancashire
Mitchell Sarah A 46 Warwick, Warwickshire Wife Beswick Lancashire

The family grave shows William James Seaton D:10/4/1892 Aged 29 and Sarah Ann Mitchell D:5/12/1892 Aged 48

NOW THIS IS WHERE I HAVE A GAP I.E. HER MARRIAGE TO THOMAS DRAKE

Thomas and Betsy’s first child’s birth certificate shows that on 9/12/1898 Edith was born (Prestwich 8d 326)  her parents being Thomas Drake Machine Fitter (Journeyman) 39 Edensor Street Beswick and Betsy Drake Late Seaton Formerly Mitchell 39 Edensor Street
Beswick

In the 1901 census they are now at 40 Hillkirk Street.

Thomas Drake Head B:Manchester Textile Mill Mechanic Repairs Worker Aged 29
Betsy Drake Wife B:Manchester Aged 36
<-Children->
Edward Mitchell Father-in-law B:Manchester Wire works labourer Aged 56

On my wife’s mothers birth certificate it shows the father as Thomas Drake Iron Fitter (Journeyman) 42 Hillkirk Street and mother Betsy Drake Late Seaton Formerly Mitchell
42 Hillkirk Street

On my wife’s parents marriage certificate it shows father Thomas Drake Mill Wright
42 Hillkirk Street.

Also on the family grave there is Edward Mitchell D:7/10/1914 Aged 70
Betsy Drake D:21/12/1935 Aged 71 and Thomas Drake D:29/8/1944
Aged 73.

I have checked the parish records of St Andrews (the nearest church to Edensor Street) where she seemed to remain from one marriage to the next. I have also checked the parish records of St Mary’s Church where they went when they live in Hillkirk Street (opposite the church) and cannot find any record of the marriage. The only reference anything like on 1837online is Manchester 8d 348 which shows that on 15/10/1898 a Thomas Drake bachelor aged 28 of 20 Harroby Street married Elizabeth Seaton widow aged 30 of 2 Harroby Street  at St James Collyhurst. Her father was shown as Charles Mitchell. Apart from Thomas Drake, Seaton and Mitchell nothing else seems to tie in.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions or ideas.

Regards

Philip Males
Males
Hepwood
Beavers
Drake
Issac
Wilson
Collantine
Robinson
Felton
Mitchell
Wylie
Cheetham
Cave
Thomas
James
Schofield

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hit a brick wall - Help and Guidance Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 October 04 09:26 BST (UK) »
I have only just read your posting - but a couple of ideas....

The registrar could have put Elizabeth - thinkinbg that Betsey was a shortened version of that....and her father's name could be copied wrongly.

(I have marriage certificates for a whole family of daughters (all the same address, etc) and one of them who married twice, gave her father as James on one and John on another.)  Mistakes can happen !

Another idea.....whu not try to look on the parish records for the church, sometimes the same certificate can be different.

(again- I have a certificate from the GRO which has the fathers name on, but the same one on the micrfiche has two names for the fatrher (one was her step-father which is crossed through and her real deceased father written above. 

Another quick thought...maybe her father was Charles Edward and was known as Edward -
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary