Author Topic: page not displayed  (Read 648 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
page not displayed
« on: Wednesday 01 February 06 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm ok with computers as long as I know what I'm doing!! I am having trouble with a laptop.
If I connect to Hotmail I get 'page not displayed' notice. I can accaess hotmail through Outlook Express however.
Similarly, if I try to connect to Ancestry.co.uk I get home page, but then cannot sign in- 'page not displayed'. Can anyone give me advice please?
Thanks
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Judith Anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: page not displayed
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hey Heywood.....this is worth a try as not having the TLS 1.0 unchecked will prevent web pages from being viewed:

Fixing “Website Can’t Be Found” and other Site Error Messages

More than likely you have trouble with accessing quite a few sites.....particularly getting the message "website can't be found" among a few other error messages. Try the following and it should solve your problem.

1. Go to START.
2. Click on CONTROL PANEL.
3. Click on INTERNET OPTIONS.
4. Change NUMBER OF DAYS TO KEEP IN HISTORY to “0” and click APPLY
5. A box appears with tabs labeled across the top. Click on ADVANCED.
6. Scroll down to the sub-heading SECURITY.
7. Make sure the following has check marks next to it:
Use USE SSL 2.0, USE SSL 3.0 and USE TLS 1.0.
8. Also make sure you check off EMPTY TEMPORARY INTERNET FILE WHEN BROWSER IS CLOSED.

More than likely USE TLS 1.0 is not checked of and it should be. This will give you the error messages, as well as a few others, that will prevent you from viewing web sites and the error you are getting. Make sure you empty your cookies cache as well as temporary internet files once in a while, too, as this slows down your computer and these folders tend to "remember" the errors and may continue to bring them up until the folders are emptied.

Judy
Coskey, Cosky, Johnson, Lewitt, England, Slattery, Howell, Bove', Rabeau, Davis, Cavallaro, Libertella, Ryan, Deagan.....

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: page not displayed
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your interest and help. In the end I got a man to 'fix' it - he probably did what you advise!! I just couldn't keep going without accessing my favourites sites - Ancestry and Hotmail!!
Best wishes
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk