Author Topic: MORTON surname interest  (Read 5469 times)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MORTON surname interest
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 December 12 18:22 GMT (UK) »
The Edward and Jane Morton in 1841 had their children baptized in Catholic Churches. Some of the Godparents were also Mortons.

At St. Marys Roman Catholic Chapel in Alnwick :

On the 16th of January 1822 was born, and on the 18th of the same month was baptized in Alnwick Chapel by me Rev. J. Beaumont, Mary Ann, daughter of Edward and Jane Morton. Sponsors William Henderson and Elizabeth Short.

On the 24th of April 1824 was born, and on the 25th of the same month was baptized in Alnwick Chapel by me Rev. J. Beaumont, Jane, daughter of Edward and Jane Morton. Sponsors John Murray and M. Brown.

At the Roman Catholic Chapel in North Shields :

1827. Born August 16th. Baptized September 16th. Robert, son of Edward and Jane Morton, formerly Brown. Godparents Cuthbert Murray and Frances Storey.

1830. Born July 2nd. Baptized July 25th. Thomas, son of Edward and Jane Morton, formerly Brown. Godparents Watts Howe and Catherine Charlton.

1833. Born Feb 11th. Baptized March 17th. Jane, daughter of Edward and Jane Morton, formerly Brown. Godparents George Morton and Ann Thomas.

Born Dec 21st 1835. Baptized Jan 25th 1836. Elizabeth, daughter of Edward and Jane Morton, formerly Brown. Godparents James Morton and Elizabeth Brown.

1839. Born March 1st. Baptized March 7th. Andrew, son of Edward and Jane Morton, formerly Brown. Godparents George Morton and Margaret Brown.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 May 13 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just found this thread. My 3x great grandfather was the James Morton mentioned (married to Sarah). His parents were Catholics and he had several siblings in South Shields. I have all the Morton parish entries for South Shields including Edward And Jane and also their entries in north Northumberland before they moved south. I suspect they they are all related and I'm currently working to prove this. One of the key markers is the continual recurrence of the name Andrew.

Happy to collaborate!

Andrew Morton

Offline BigOoms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 July 13 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew,
I see you mentioned you had record of Morton's in north Northumberland.
I have an Edward Murdy marrying an Elizabeth Morton. around 1773+ He was born in Norham.
I cannot find a marriage for them. They have the death of a child recorded in Norham and a birth recorded in 1805 in Berwick at the Golden Square Presbeterian church.
I believe Elizabeth was born around 1758.  Does she feature in your records?
Any help would be gratefully received.
Big Ooms.

Offline feefee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 July 13 22:10 BST (UK) »
I have Edward and Jane as Godparents to Andrew & Isabella Morton's children.  Some of the family also go to Shields area.  There is also a Murdy as a Godparent in 1780s. 

Offline BigOoms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Fee Fee,
I was so excited to see your reply to my query,I have been stuck with my Murdy,s for so many years now. There are 3 of us only, researching Murdy,s from North Northumberland( 2 branches) and we are all stuck. Any information you can impart would be gratefully received.
All of my previous leads have gone dead, believing they were Dissenters and that events weren,t recorded.
Which ever Murdy,s you have , info will be gratefully received, I await your reply "with bated breath!" as the saying goes
Best Wishes,
BigOoms

Offline Natmorton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just found this thread. My 3x great grandfather was the James Morton mentioned (married to Sarah). His parents were Catholics and he had several siblings in South Shields. I have all the Morton parish entries for South Shields including Edward And Jane and also their entries in north Northumberland before they moved south. I suspect they they are all related and I'm currently working to prove this. One of the key markers is the continual recurrence of the name Andrew.

Happy to collaborate!

Andrew Morton

Hi I've stumbled across this thread quite a few yrs after posting originally and wondered if you still have records to share for Edward & Jane Morton. They're my gggg grandparents!!
Thanks so much
Natalie

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 March 22 23:07 GMT (UK) »
HI there,

Yes, happy to help.

Offline Natmorton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 March 22 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Aw thatd be great thank you. Not sure what's the best way

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 March 22 18:40 GMT (UK) »
As Edward Morton and his family were Catholics, the key here is the Returns of Papists for Northumberland. There was a return of Catholics made in 1705 but the Northumberland return is very defective and in many cases only gives numbers and the return for Islandshire (North Durham) which includes Kyloe, Lowick, Holy Island, Norham and Ancroft is missing altogether. I inspected the original returns at the House of Lords archive and they are definitely not there. No Mortons appear anywhere in Northumberland which suggests that if there were any, they must have either been in North Durham, included somewhere else but only as part of an enumeration or not Catholics at that time.

Here's the return for Bamburgh as an example:

BALMEBROUGH

In ye parish of Balmbrough there's noe Papist or reputed Papist save, Eliz: Story - widdow of Newham a farm.

Char. Stoddart vicar

There was another return in 1767 and this is very good as it identifies all Catholics individually. There is only one family of Mortons and they are in Lowick, just next to Kyloe Parish.

They are:

Andrew Morton who was a mason, aged 55, Mary his wife, aged 53 and Andrew his son, aged 9. They were all born in the parish of Lowick (although not necessarily in the village of that name) which means that Andrew senior was born around 1712, Andrew and Mary would have been married somewhere around 1732 and Andrew Junior would have been born around 1758.

I have examined the parish registers of Lowick and there is no trace of the baptisms or marriage. That was because Roman Catholic children were baptised by the local priest and the details entered in his pocketbook, which was kept privately. The authorities liked to keep track of Roman Catholics, Presbyterians and other dissenters (hence the lists of dissenters’ births which can be found in some Anglican parish church registers) so the Catholic community preferred not to publicise their records.

The was at least one other son, William, who married Isabel Dixon at Rothbury on 30 May 1763. He was described as 'William Morton of the Parish of Lowick' and she was a Catholic as her birth is recorded in the list of Dissenters' births in the Rothbury parish register. Her father and siblings also appear in the Return of Papists for Rothbury in 1767. She does not, neither does William but I found them in the return for Great Ryle listed as:

'A Hind, His Wife and His Son’. How do I know that they are William and his family? Firstly, the age of his wife; she is 30 which means that she was born between September 1736 and September 1737 which matches exactly with the date of birth of Isabel on 25 August, 1737. Secondly, Isabel appears nowhere else in the returns, although her siblings are all named. Thirdly, whilst the baptisms of Catholics were not recorded in Anglican parish registers, their burials were. From the burials from Whittingham parish for the year 1772 I found that on August 12 was buried William son of William Morton of Great Ryle and there is no trace of a baptism for this child. William had another child (also called William) buried in nearby Whittingham on 20 March 1774.

So it appears that Andrew Morton the mason of Lowick appeared to have had at least two sons, William and Andrew (there may have been more children). William is my 5 x Great Grandfather and his son James Morton moved to South Shields in 1800 and was a butcher there. William's brother Andrew married Margaret Blacklock at Wooler

'4th of May 1779 This day were married by Banns duly published in this Parish Andrew Murton of the Parish of Lowick and Margaret Blacklock of this Parish in the presence of Robert Glahome and Marton Southren'  - Wooler

Edward Morton's death was announced in the North & South Shields Gazette of 30 March 1850:

'Deaths: South Shields, at Price-street, on the 23rd inst., aged 63, Mr Edward Morton, trimmer'

In the 1841 census his age is given as 53 (even though ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years) so I think it's safe to assume that he was born around the years 1787/88. This would put Andrew Morton squarely in the frame to be Edward's father and given that he named his own son Andrew I think it's a fairly safe bet that Edward was the grandson of Andrew Morton the mason of Lowick. I have separately noted a list of all the Catholic parish register entries which I have involving the name Edward and it's fascinating to see the intertwining of the families as evidenced by the sponsors at the baptisms and the constant recurrence of the name Andrew (which is a fairly unusual Morton name and which always appears to lead back to the northern end of Northumberland. (continued in a separate post)