Author Topic: Royal Estate in Penicuik?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad : 1917-2008 xxx
    • View Profile
Royal Estate in Penicuik?
« on: Thursday 02 February 06 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I know I'm from Penicuik! but a relative (who lives in Canada) has mentioned that one of our ancestors lived as a Gatekeeper on a royal estate in Penicuik. I can't think where this could be.  Does anyone know where this could have been or is it a bit of false info passed down the family?!

Thanks
Sharon

ANDERSON - Galashiels, Coldstream
EASTON - Edinburgh<br />FOWLER - Yorkshire, Traquair, Pathhead, Penicuik, Edinburgh, Fife, Canada<br />HENDRY - Coldstream, Edinburgh<br />MORRISON - Edinburgh<br />SWANSON - Edinburgh, Lasswade
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Estate in Penicuik?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 06 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon

I was puzzling over the Royal Connection bit then thought of Crichton Castle. The Earl of Boswell lived there after the Crichtons were turfed out. The same Boswell who married Mary, Queen of Scots.

Thats a long time ago though but I suppose you could say there was a very loose connection

Thats the only link I can come up with.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 February 06 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestion Russell.

I just can't figure out any royal estate connection to Penicuik.  I have been told a relative may have worked at Belwood House so it could have stemmed from that and got a bit exaggerated!

The only other thing I can think of is that the ancestor they are referring to worked as a coachman at Traquair House which does have royal connections (although again in the past).  Maybe the two relatives have been mixed up somehow.

Hopefully the Library or Local Studies Centre can shed some light.

Ah, the wonders of trying to figure out family tales!

Sharon

EASTON - Edinburgh<br />FOWLER - Yorkshire, Traquair, Pathhead, Penicuik, Edinburgh, Fife, Canada<br />HENDRY - Coldstream, Edinburgh<br />MORRISON - Edinburgh<br />SWANSON - Edinburgh, Lasswade
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Estate in Penicuik - Update
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 13:39 GMT (UK) »
UPDATE
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]

I visited the Local Studies Centre last night and found in the valuation rolls that the person who lived in Penicuik was my G Grandfather, and that was at Belwood Lodge. He was the chauffeur to Sir Henry Cook who lived at Belwood House.

I think the family story has got confused over the years. One family member (my GG Grandfather) lived and worked as a coachman at Traquair House in the Borders, which does have the royal connection.

Sharon
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline runner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon
Thanks for the up-date. Its great to sort out some of the stories and find out where your ancestors were. It put a bit of perspective on your view of their life.
I think we all live in hope......
Just don't tell your relatives now. You might burst their bubble

Worse still they might just 'bubble' with disappointment.

Russell
1941-2016

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Russell

It's also made me feel closer somehow.  They left Belwood when Sir Henry died around 1928/29.  Funnily in 1977 my mum and dad come along and bought one of the houses in the new estate at Glencorse (just off Belwood Road).  Dad never knew his grandfather and father used to "live up the road".  The Lodge is only about 1/4 mile from where they bought (and still live in). 

I never knew my grandad as he died when my dad was 17, but now I can think we may must have played in the same cornfields, woods, burn, "pirates" graveyard even with quite a few years apart!  As I said to my dad last night he's brought us back to our roots and didn't even know it!

Sorry to blabber on, just a bit excited at the moment and strangely emotional .....

Sharon
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline runner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon

Its great to get that feeling of connection with someone you can only know at a distance of time.

One thing all the Rootschatters seem to share is an emotional feeling for things in the past. Not just their own family background, but in other people's stories as well.

We can all share someone's successes and feel sad for some of the tragic things that sometimes come up. If you don't have someone of your own who cheers you on then you know that there will be a whole bunch of folk here to share it with.

Now...... How, and where did my G-grandfather live ?????

Russell
1941-2016