Author Topic: NEW AND STUCK!! Armley Church Burials, COMPLETED MANY THANKS  (Read 3893 times)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NEW AND STUCK!! Armley Church Burials, COMPLETED MANY THANKS
« on: Thursday 02 February 06 17:25 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for the name of the church that was known as Armley church.  My g,g,g,grandmother was buried there in 1866 March quarter).  Her name was Elizabeth Hayes (nee Heaton).  She was either 41 or 44 when she died (death record and husband's gravestone differ!).  On his gravestone it stated that she had been interred at Armley church.  I do not know where to go from here.  I have rung Leeds city council as I have seen somewhere that Armley church or cemetry is also known as Leeds corporation cemetry.  They informed me that this cemetry did not open until much later in the 1800s.  Does anyone know which church in the area performed burials in 1866.  I have seen mention of a national burial index.  How do I look at that?  I want to know if any family members were buried in the same grave as her.

Any help or advice would be greatfully accepted.
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NEW AND STUCK!! Armley Church Burials, Where do I go from here?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 06 17:41 GMT (UK) »
New Wortley cemetry was open in 1863, that is in the same area.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 February 06 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for being a pain but do you know if the records will be held by Leeds city council?  Or by a certain church?

Many thanks
CJ
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 06 18:03 GMT (UK) »
The deposited registers for the Chapelry Of Armley are held by the WYAS .
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 February 06 20:25 GMT (UK) »
CJ,

Armley Parish Church is called St. Bartholomew's. I'm not quite sure when it became a parish in its own right rather than a chapelry in Leeds parish, but you can find out some more information about it at http://www.genuki.org.uk.

There is other information on Genuki, such as (as Nessie said) where the registers are.

There is also a parish of Upper Armley (Christ Church), but I think this church would have been built after 1866.

Armley Cemetery is a long way from the church, and from my recollection the graves are much later in date.

Jon
Armitage-Smith Meanwood Leeds
Whitehead-Holroyd Farnley/Wortley/Armley Leeds

Census information is Crown Copyright, transcribed by me.

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 February 06 21:04 GMT (UK) »
I must be brain dead. Too much work!

Look at http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk. Elizabeth Hayes d. 1865 registered Leeds West, also another 1866 Wortley (that would have included Armley).

Also, Theophulus (sic) Hayes m Elizabeth Heaton at St. Mark, Woodhouse, in 1848. The Year of Revolutions, but that's irrelevant.

Jon

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 February 06 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Also, Theophilus (that looks better) Hayes is living in Keighley with wife Mary (nee Naylor) in 1881. See FamilySearch.

YorkshireBMDs reveals that they married at Leeds Parish Church in 1868, which fits with Elizabeth'd death.

Jon

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 February 06 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth died March quarter 1866 aged 41 in the district of Kirkstall.  I did not know of her existence until I found Theophilus's grave in Utley cemetery.  On the grave stone it mentions William Naylor (Mary Ann's brother) he died first.  Then it mentions Theo, beloved husband of Elizabeth Hayes who died 1866 aged 44 and is interred at Armley church, that is all the information I have on her, other than a copy of their mc, her maiden name was Heaton (father William-a tailor by profession)  At the time of their marriage (aug 1848) they lived at Cankerwell Lane.  Then Mary Ann beloved wife of Theo.  It doesn't mention on the stone that Theo's great grandson is in there, he died at 7 weeks.  I do not know Leeds at all well.  But I think that Kirkstall is fairly central.  If you know the area is it still under Armley?  Does St Bartholomew's have a graveyard attached?  I am hoping that Elizabeth might have been buried with Theo's parents as I have no record for them!  I would also like to visit the grave.

Many thanks for all your help.
CJ

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 February 06 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Right, I've found this on Genuki. The register office for the relevant areas between 1862 and 1869 was Kirkstall. Wortley was a sub-district of Kirkstall, and would probably have covered Armley. (Genuki doesn't say this, but some of my ancestors' births and deaths were registered there).

Just to clarify the geography, Kirkstall is west of Leeds City centre on the north bank of the river. Armley & Wortley are on the south bank roughly opposite Kirkstall. So we could both be right.

St. Bartholomew's certainly has a graveyard. But. The church was rebuilt sometime during the 19th century (again, see Genuki which says it dates from the time of Charles I, only it is now a very large Victorian building.)

Perhaps a phone call to the West Yorkshire Archaeological Society (again, as Nessie suggested) would confirm whether they have the registers for Armley for the relevant year.

Jon