Author Topic: Thomas Penfold and Sophia/Soffia Orchard  (Read 45496 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Penfold and Sophia/Soffia Orchard
« Reply #117 on: Saturday 26 November 11 14:48 GMT (UK) »
yes i know violet and betsy aswell.just posting to put me in the link.i am south west region myself and family
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 26 November 11 14:50 GMT (UK) »
pm me who you are accordiantom.we go to bampton fair aswellbetsy taylor nee penfold was killed there in the 1950s.she was the daughter of ocean penfold nee hughes and henry.betsy and joe were my husbands grandperants

Offline portholemike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Thursday 10 May 12 19:27 BST (UK) »
hi deb just came across this thread by chance, i am a desandant from john and harriet,i have been trying to find his father for sometime,we were always told they go back to new forrest area,i tried the opc at kinson dorset but he said no record of him born there, but i have seen somewhere he was born 1780/3  death is registered of oct/nov/dec  1868 aged 88,if this is correct his son john [junior] died two years after his dad also called, his wife charlotte penfold born about 1781, death is registered march 1874 aged 93,she may have been a palmer. after all john and harriet were married at pimperne dorset.
john [junior]married harriet is buried at braunton just outside barnstaple. 1870
 my grandfather , robert was one of henry,s sons, so henry my great grandad and john my grt grt grandad. south stoneham, hampshire,i think john [senior] was issued. so maybe you could start looking in that area. regards,mike
devon,dorset,somerset.wilts,cornwall,hants

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Thursday 10 May 12 19:37 BST (UK) »
i have been told much the same but have not been able to find proof as yet!let me know if you find anything definate.hi debs?you okay?

Offline portholemike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: thomas penfold married in south molton1866 to sophia orchard
« Reply #121 on: Thursday 16 May 13 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Blimey jules ..how did you find them in 1861?  i was searching today but using their kids names ...any of them born after 1850 hoping to find them> wow ...well done!!!!!
 iI was under the impression that harriet was born in warminster and not john and as JAP pointed out , christopher is a family name ( christopher, christona) but i did not have him as a brother to thomas b abt 1841.
what a find ...... yey!!!
john pinfold/penfold ..hubby of harriet died in 1870 at age 64 .
so where are they in 1851 and who are the parents of john pinfold  and harriet james?
 Also where are thomas and sophia in '71 and "81 ...will keep looking ! :)

thanks again .... i am soo happyyou have found them!!!!! :) ;D
deb x
hi, i did see somewhere,that john who married harriet,his father also called john born about 1783 [kinson]dorset] married a charlotte palmer,i have been trying to solve this for sometime, mike
devon,dorset,somerset.wilts,cornwall,hants

Offline TaraLGill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Sunday 20 September 15 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just started doing the family tree for my nan! I've got some details, seems we're distantly related. I was wondering if someone could post the family tree, I've got stuck in places with finding details. My nan was Lavinia Vercoe (now Gill), her parents were Amy penfold & norman temple vercoe. Amy's parents were Nelson  penfold & lavinia Richards. Then Nelson's parents were sophia orchard & Thomas penfold. The siblings of all of these have been a struggle as my aunt has just scribbled details in no order. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I see Deb you're from North Carolina, hello from Cornwall, UK!

Offline IanDevon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 15:54 BST (UK) »
Newbie here - just started researching my family tree on my maternal grandmothers side - she died about 30 years ago now but my Mum has always told a few stories which we didn't know were true or not. My gran had said she was born into a travelling family but her mother disappeared at an early age and she was raised by her father and grandparents who were not travellers and she also maintained that her parents were never officially married.
Anyway - last week I got hold of her birth certificate and did some digging - her parents are listed as William and Sophia Quick - nee Penfoe. They are listed in the 1901 census but by 1911 Sophia has disappeared. After much digging around it became apparent that this was obviously a transcribing error and that her name was Sophia Penfold. She was born in 1881 though I only have the fact that in 1901 she was listed as being 20. It makes sense therefore that she is the daughter of Thomas Penfold and Sophia Penfold (nee Orchard) and it would appear I am related to a few people on here.
Sadly I cannot find anything about what happened to her post 1901 - somehow doubt I ever will but if anyone has any info I would be happy to hear it

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 17:19 BST (UK) »
i am not sure i understand you?was it william Quick and Sophie orchard??i have a Sophie orchard married Leonard Penfold.Sophie being born 1892 in Cornwall?I have a william Quick but he married twice the first time to Emma Copp and then Emma Tout.he was born about 1830?thier children were   Mary Jane (1862-1943)
Eliza Ann (1865-)
Henrietta (1868-)
It may help if you could give the area she was born?By your post i understand she was surname Quick is that right?how do you change the fact on her birth cert from Sophie Penfold to Sophie Orchard  ?
Have you got any previous Travellers in your line?If you give us their names areas and ages we might be able to work out her family.My Sophie Orchard marries leonard penfold died 1968 by the way.They had a daughter Sophie but she was born 1912? 

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 17:24 BST (UK) »
do you know who she married??