Author Topic: Ettershank in Glasgow or Barony  (Read 671 times)

Offline GeorgeJen

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ettershank in Glasgow or Barony
« on: Saturday 04 February 06 00:41 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the antecedents of my great grandfather, George Ettershank.
The entry in the Register of Banns and Marriages (we have the copy) says "George Ettershank Spirit Dealer Anderston & Catherine Higgins residing there. Married at Glasgow the 13th day of November 1848 by the Rev David Mitchell, minister of the Free St Luke's Church Catton Barony Parish."
They had two sons, James b. 9/11/1850, Barony; and George, b. 8/1/1854, Barony. James was my grandfather; we don't know what happened to George.
George is listed on his son James' marriage certificate as a hotel waiter & domestic; he is recorded as deceased (then 1878). However, Catherine married James Stewart 7/8/1856 - so George must have been dead by then.
On his wife's death certificate 3/7/1883, he is described as a "boots in a hotel". On James death entry his father is given as a hotel porter.
We are stuck at this point and I would greatly appreciate any help. My favoured candidate is George Ettershank, son of James Ettershank and Margaret Alexander, b. 18/3/1822 in Kincardine O'Neil, Aberdeenshire. This is based on a guess, and the fact that their George worked in an inn in Aberdeen in the 1841 census.
George.

Ettershank in Aberdeenshire and Lanarkshire, as well as Australia, Canada, Sth Africa, New Zealand.
Allan and Eke in Northumberland and Eke in Norfolk