Author Topic: A lost family Bible  (Read 6624 times)

Offline Davefiona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A lost family Bible
« on: Saturday 04 February 06 05:36 GMT (UK) »
I have a letter that My G Grandfather wrote that tells about a family Bible that was handed down among his family. How would i go about finding out where it would be now. Also is the information in family bibles accurate.  He out lines the family history down to  his father. while the names have all checked out so far the dates have often been inaccurate.

Cheers Dave G

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A lost family Bible
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 February 06 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

I think the only way to track down your own family bible would be to get in touch with your various relatives. We tracked down my wife's by throwing a family get together which brought all the cousins from all over Britain. They also brought all their old photos and there was some furious swapping going on!!!

The info in that bible was fairly accurate but the pages from my family bible are rather less so. They are guesstimates but gave enough info to find and download certificates from scotlandspeople.

Juast an afterthought.  The family re-union was worth doing even if none of the older family history had come from it. The family stories were terrific and could have filled a book except there was so much laughter you missed half of them

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A lost family Bible
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 08 09:55 BST (UK) »
Our family Bible went missing - many cousins knew of its existence, but no-one knew where it was, and it was turned up by a half-cousin that no-one in the family knew.  My g. grandmother (the one who had put family history into a Bible which was presented to her on her wedding day) had married again after my g. grandfather died, and the Bible passed down through the children of this second marriage.

I made a contact through Genes Reunited with a descendant from this second marriage, and I mentioned the existence of this Bible, and at the time she didn't know where it was either.  A few weeks later she was helping her sister go through her late mother's effects, and she saw this tatty old book in a black sack which her sister was going to put in the bin, and she rescued it, and it was the missing family Bible.  Had I not made this contact a few weeks before, it's likely that the Bible would have ended up as land-fill  :o

The inscriptions in the book were a little disappointing at first - just a lot of scribbled names and dates, when I was expecting a traditional family tree, but as time went by I began to appreciate the value of it.  Inside were the names of all the children she had, including her first-born twins who only survived a few months, and who probably no-one else in the family knew about.  The Bible now resides with the eldest cousin in the family, and the family history entries have been scanned and now feature on my Ancestry tree.  And the half-cousin that nobody knew is now a wonderful friend to many of us in the family.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk