Author Topic: James Mundle/Mundell 1696 County Antrim  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Mundell1730

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Mundle/Mundell 1696 County Antrim
« on: Saturday 04 February 06 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from the flinthills prairielands,
    I am researching the history of James Mundle/Mundell. It's been told that he and a son (James also) came to America from protestant Ireland in 1730 during the religious disturbances there. They settled in the Philadelphia, PA. area. James found work with a Mr. John Garrett.  James left his son in the care of John and Margaret Garrett and returned to Ireland to rid of his property and to bring his wife, Mary (BURNS) and the  rest of his family back to America. In March of 1731, James wrote the Garrett's and told them he and the rest of the family would be sailing from Londonderry. They were never heard from again and it was presumed that they were lost at sea. When young James grew up, he returned to Ireland and found his old home and village church destroyed and he could not find anyone he knew. He returned to Philadelphia and later married John and Margaret's daughter.
     James Mundle/Mundell b.1696 County Antrim, Ireland; d.1731 at sea
     James Mundle/Mundell b.1720 County Antrim, Ireland; d.1805 Willowtree, PA.
     My mother was a Mundell and I have traced this family to Ireland and now I have hit a wall. Any help would gladly be appreciated. I thank you for your time.
                                                                                                                       Greg

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Mundle/Mundell 1696 County Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 06 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Greg:
Came across this item.
"The first picture is of George & Jane (née MUNDELL) STEAD who were married in Glen Arm Co. Antrim Nth. Ireland on 27 Nov 1882. They migrated to Montreal in April 1886. Jane is nursing my grandfather, James Mundell STEAD, b. 21 Jun 1887 in Montreal. Standing is Thomas Mundell STEAD b. 23 Aug 1883 and seated is Mary b. 19 Jun 1885. Thomas and Mary were believed to be born in Ballymena.

Family legend has it that Jane died a few months after this picture was taken and that George took the children back to Nth. Ireland. Within a short time he returned to Canada leaving the children behind with relatives. They never saw their father again. He supposedly "met with foul play" in Canada but I have been unable to find any death record for him or Jane. This is my major family history mystery! Thomas married and migrated to Canada. His descendants live in Toronto and I have visited them a couple of times. James migrated to Australia and Mary married and remained in Nth. Ireland. Her descendants still live there. "
http://www.stead-steedons.co.uk/gallery.htm

And:
1803/04/30,Gortgarn,SERPENT,Baltimore,MUNDELL,Elizh.,,12,Spinster,Londonderry
1803/04/30,Gortgarn,SERPENT,Baltimore,MUNDELL,Isabella,,20,Spinster,Londonderry
1803/04/30,Gortgarn,SERPENT,Baltimore,MUNDELL,Jane,,16,Spinster,Londonderry
1803/04/30,Gortgarn,SERPENT,Baltimore,MUNDELL,John,,40,Farmer,Londonderry
1803/04/30,Gortgarn,SERPENT,Baltimore,MUNDELL,Margaret,,39,,Londonderry
1803/04/30,Gortgarn,SERPENT,Baltimore,MUNDELL,Mary,,14,Spinster,Londonderry
1803/04/30,Gortgarn,SERPENT,Baltimore,MUNDELL,Samuel,,46,Farmer,Londonderry
1803/04/30,Gortgarn,SERPENT,Baltimore,MUNDELL,Wm. John,,25,Farmer,Londonderry
http://www.irishgenealogical.org/igsi_published/passlist/5800list.htm#MA

Hope this helps some.

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Ben in Virginia

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Mundle/Mundell 1696 County Antrim
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Greg and Pat,

I know that these posts were made quite a while ago but I am a descendant of James Mundell and Margaret Garrett. I am wondering if you have since found further information about the family. I was born in Pennsylvania where most of my family still resides. My immediate family moved to Virginia when I was a teenager. James and Margaret are my 6th great grandparents. I really appreciate any information you have to share. I have traced the family back to Antrim but I do not know of any Mundells who are still there. If they are they have not been linked on ancestry. I thank you for your time and it sounds as though we are distant relatives!

Regards,

Ben