Author Topic: lawrence/jackson hunslet yorkshire  (Read 5645 times)

Offline annette

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
lawrence/jackson hunslet yorkshire
« on: Thursday 23 September 04 10:29 BST (UK) »
can anyone help me with a search for a florence lawrence maiden name jackson.  I recently sent blindly for a death certificate for a  florence who died in hunslet aged 32.  The information that I had from my late grandmother was that her mother had died whilst my grandmother was young in childbirth but the information I have on this certificate is pulminary tuberculosis.however it does tie up with my great grandads name a john william lawrence The address is 5 royal place hunslet.  can anyone give me any information about this address also floren ce was supposed to have several sets of twins that died  I have found a frederick and a william lawrence born and died in 1917 but can anyone look these up for me to see if there parents are in fact john and florence. also if anyone has any information on any relatives to john and florence all I know is that florence used to be a jackson and when she died my grandmother helena frances watson lawrence born 1914/1915 registered in wakefield was supposed to have gone and  lived with wealthy grandparents who had connections to a lace mill.  any help would be most appreciated as my search has been long and difficult as I cannot even find their marriage as no one knows anything of their backgrounds except john remarried in about 1924 and moved to alvaston in derby where he then died in approx1952  annette
interested in jackson lawrence ault handley dalloway haines

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: lawrence/jackson hunslet yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 October 04 22:53 BST (UK) »
Frederick W Lawrence :-
Birth reg. Sept 1917 Hunslet 9b 581 - mother's maiden name - Jackson
William W Lawrence :-
Birth reg. Sept 1917 Hunslet 9b 581 - mother's maiden name - Jackson

Frederick W Lawrence : -
Death reg.  Sept 1917 Age: 0 - Hunslet 9b 498
William W Larence : -
Death reg.  Sept 1917 Age 0 - Hunslet 9b 499

So it seems that they were twins - but both died very soon after birth.

There is no death reg. for their mother.....
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline annette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 October 04 23:51 BST (UK) »
thanks kathy i have found a death of a florence k lawrence in 1920.  it was believed that she had several sets of twins that died.   i dont know whether or not you can find out for me where  frederick and william was buried.  annette

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 08:36 BST (UK) »

There is nothing listed on the Leeds Burial CD for them or Florence - although there are a few John William's (probably because it's a more common name).

I am working in the Leeds Archives this morning and will have a quick look on the parish records for Hunslet burials, for 1917......

Why not send for the death certificates and get the dates of death....also, you could contact the office at Lawnswood cemetery  (0113 2673188)....they hold the original records for many of the Leeds area cemeteries (not just Lawnswood).  They are very helpful, but also very busy, and can't do extensive searches - but if you have a date of death and a suggested cemetery they may come up with something.  They will also provide a plan to show the location of the grave.

I have found this office really useful - generally the burials are in an index ledger - added in date order under the initial letter of the surname - so you have to know the approximate date of death/burial.  When you find the entry you are looking for - it gives a grave No.

The grave Nos. are in another ledger - in numerical order - easy !  Listed under the number are details of all the burials in that particular plot.  Some give details of death/next of kin/costs/memorials etc.

It can lead you to a members of the family you never expected ! 
~~~~~~~~

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Offline annette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 09:44 BST (UK) »
kathy if you could I w ould be everso grateful as I am really new to all this .  If you ever need any look ups for derby please let me know.  Thanking you in anticipation annette

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 12:48 BST (UK) »
Must be having 'one of those days'..... there are quite a few churches to choose from in Hunslet, inc. St Peter (Hunslet Moor), St Silas, St Andrew, St Cuthbert, St Jude & St Mary.

Only St Mary had any burials listed at all...the others just marriages & baptisms.....and St Mary's burial records are only in the archives up until 1854.

Not sure id that is when they closed the graveyard - and started using the municipal cemeteries - or if the registers are just not lodged at the Archived.

Sorry

~~~~~~~~

Offline annette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 15:43 BST (UK) »
thanks kathy anyway. annette

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 22:50 BST (UK) »
I think, when St Marys closed a lot of the burials took place at Woodhouse Hill Cemetery for those that lived in Hunslet.
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline annette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 October 04 09:11 BST (UK) »
thanks fitty for your information.  It is very helpful annette