Author Topic: John Erskine Hay  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Erskine Hay
« on: Saturday 04 February 06 07:36 GMT (UK) »
I have an ellusive ancestor.

The enlistment record of John Erskine Hay (son of a farmer called Arthur Hay) says he was born circa 1845 in Dundee in Fife (not Angus).  Fife & Dundee are either side of the bridge so clearly there is something incorrect there.

So far, the earliest record I have of him, other than a 'possible' siting of a John Hay in London on the 1861 census, is his enlistment in the Marines in 1863.   Fortunately I have found him on every census post that date, but all those records only give his place of birth as Scotland.  I therefore have a total void about his early life, no positive info regarding his mother's name, nor do I know exactly where in Scotland he was born.

Any help would therefore be appreciated.

Roy G

Offline gbugden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Erskine Hay
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 December 06 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello
An ancestor of mine from Dundee is Mary Hay, who married Norman McLeod in july 1844. I have no other information! But perhaps they are related

Cheers Greg

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 December 06 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

Unfortunately, there are numerous Scottish Hays so just having a mutual connection with Dundee as a city arround the year of my search is insufficient to deduce a connection.  Do you have a certificate showing your Mary's marriage in which she gives her father's name and profession?

Roy G

Offline gbugden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes Roy
Norman McLeod married  Mary Hay 8 Jul 1844 in Coupar Angus, Angus, Scotland. He was a linen hand loom weaver. Their children were DAvid, Jean (or Jane), John, Norman and Catherine.
Cheers Greg

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your interest and attempt to help Greg, but your Mary Hay's marriage in 1844 puts her year of birth about a generation away from the birth of my John Erskine Hay.   Also, contrastingly, I have my John's father Arthur as a farmer rather than a weaver so I therefore think I will have to continue looking.

Yours Roy G