Author Topic: what made you search for your roots?  (Read 11643 times)

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
what made you search for your roots?
« on: Thursday 23 September 04 19:05 BST (UK) »
what made you decide you wanted to trace your family tree?

mine was that my in laws handed me a family tree that someone unknown to them had sent them through the post, that was the day i got the bug and decided to research on my side ( and a bit more of theres)

joanne ;D
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
Re: what made you search for your roots?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 September 04 19:14 BST (UK) »
I think the fact that I like mysteries and puzzles and am a bit nosy might have had soemthing to do with it!!

I liked doing the standard "family tree" drawings when I was little, and curiosity just got the better of me I suppose...
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Matty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 September 04 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne, 

Years ago my then nine year old daughter had a lot of information given to her by my Mother-in-law.  The interest in the "family" died a death (excuse the pun) until my Daughter-in-law asked me to trace the family as it is"my boys inheritance".  So I can only blame my daughter & daughter-in-law. Now I bore people to death on the subject. :)
McDermott Yorkshire & Ireland 
McNutt Lancashire &  Donegal Ireland 
McKinly Donegal Ireland
Culbert Donegal Ireland
Richardson Donegal Ireland
Booth,Crompton, Hamer, Jackson, Nuttall, Smith and Ward from Lancashire

"So near and yet so far"

Offline Patches

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 September 04 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Mine started with my daughters (age 10) school homework which lead me to contact my uncle to get copies of the tree he had started, when the homework got handed in I carried on with my own 'little' project.

I also wanted to be able to get something off the internet that was of some use, its ok downloading silly games but I actually wanted to get something that was more meaningful.   It also gave me a good excuse to get the internet at home rather that borrow others. 

'Doing' my tree on pc also means that my pc is more than just a expensive games console, much to my daughters annoyance, although she did say the other day that the more dead people I find the less she'll have to look for later when she's old, I think detected a  hint of relief in her voice when she said it. 

Patches

Kent - Jones, Wigley, Rigden, Philpott, Perry, Irwin, Booker, Durling, Saker, Venner, Nutting, Giles, McNalty, Burley, Crowhurst, Ford & Roots,
Sussex - Badcock,  Barden, Barham, Bridger, Carey, Courthope, Crampton, Ford, Wright, Dadswell, Okill, Elliott, Hepden, Jarrett, Foster, Marchant, Selmes and Warnett
Fife/Mayo - McNalty
Bucks - Folley & Spufford

Offline Grandad james

• Rest in Peace Jim Ellis
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • FamilyHistory addict. My problems are all relative
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 September 04 23:03 BST (UK) »
My Interest started when I discovered , after having been married for more than several years, that my wife's Grandmother had been born in New York .USA.
and that her biological (Political correct) Grandfather was an Australian Soldier over in UK for WW1. They did not marry . So again my Mother in law is ...no I am not going to go there. 

The urge to research seriously came  when Sister in Law ( the favourite daughter) said " We dont talk about them and anyway you will never find out anything anyway"

We all know about family dynamics and she gets most upset when I drop the fact that "cousin" Jane in NSW has just written again....and.. A very kind lady in New York has just sent the full report on Great grandads death in a fire at work... the reason family came back to UK,including the reports in NY Times. Oh and we have grannies birth cert from New York.

I find it all so fascinating ,the research a challenge , and I am glad I decided to start.

Now all I want are some 72 hour days.... ;D

Gj

BOORER/BORER/BORRER/BOARER,Origins in
Surrey,Sussex,Kent and London.
BOORER/BORER? Registered One Name Study -WORLDWIDE.
ELLIS Richmond Surrey. Fletching Sussex
FREEMAN Chertsey , Isleworth Middx and Richmond Surrey.

Offline BarryBear

• RootsChat Member
  • "You got some disgusting 'abits you really 'ave!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 September 04 23:21 BST (UK) »
Good question Joanne.
For me it started when I looked at Friends Reunited and saw the link to Genes Connected/Reunited. Had a look and thought, it's not much money, It might be a grin ::)
Within a few hours had found a cousin in New Zealand!
I really knew so little about my family. Just my parents names, brothers and sister's names and an Uncle. Found out grandparents names and that was it! Mum died when I was little so never knew much about her side and my Dad's Dad died when he was little and his Mum died before I was born so memories were stretched a lot. Now got a brother and my sister interested and they've added a few leaves to the tree. The cousin in NZ had done a fair bit and I found out about Aunties and Uncles I never had a clue about before. Hit the 400 name mark the other night and only been (disorganisedly) at it since this spring. Met two cousins for the first time this week and the buzz of that is what is gonna keep me going through the 'Walls'. There must be so many of them out there with stories to tell and I wanna find them, even just for a cuppa. Sorry to ramble, back to normal again now ;D
Lawson in Durham and Croydon,
Corbett in Surrey,
Watts in Surrey and Croydon,
King in Herts,
Knight in South East London,
Papworth in East London,
Brewer in Essex,
Eley/Ely in Essex,
NewburyNewberry in Herts
Fillery in Surrey
Waugh in Durham

Offline EmPers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 September 04 23:43 BST (UK) »
Grandmother on one side had been doing hers and grandads, and said something about how we should find out all the information from the grandparents on the other side because they no a lot and it would be a shame to waste it. So that got me to research mums side of the family,
WEST, PROCTOR - Fillongley, Warwickshire
CLARK(E) - Aston, Warks & Leicestershire
BETTERIDGE & THORNTON - Oxfordshire
FISHER -  Bromsgrove, Worcs,
SLAUGHTER - Evesham, Worc s & Birmingham

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 September 04 23:56 BST (UK) »
My cousin had researched my mother's side of the family and told me about his progress on a regular basis.  That got me interested.  Having an uncommon name (Tymon) and having ancestors who've lived in the same place as I do now (Scarborough) since 1840 meant I made quite quick progress initially which kept my enthusiasm going.  Having said that it took me nearly 15 years to get back from 1840 to 1790!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 September 04 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

My interest in my family started with a trip to Tasmania.

I spent 2 days at the penal settlement of Port Arthur & after hearing all the stories about the plight of the convicts in this hell hole,
I was struck with, how did my family come to be in a new country, what were the circumstances that brought them halfway around the world.

A cousin gave me a bit of info for a starting point & it's been a daily hobby ever since.
It has given me contact with rellies all over the world, and thanks to the internet we are in touch constantly.

I know I bore everyone to tears with my findings, but in years to come someone will say, thank you for your persistance.

When I started I also decided to keep a yearly journal. In this I write my observations & thoughts for each day.
I now have 12 of those as well as a tree that contains not only dates & places, but stories of the persons listed.

It is a disease, isn't it!

Cheers
Geoff
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,