Author Topic: what made you search for your roots?  (Read 11641 times)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: what made you search for your roots?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 18:02 BST (UK) »
Shanko,

I wish you and your brothers all the best with your family tree research.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline JDG

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Member
  • Butcher & Orlando One Name Studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 18:50 BST (UK) »
Shanko,
I wish you well with your project.

When my grandmother died, I was devistated. We were very close and my way of dealing with the events were to write in my journal. Things she told me and things we did together. It all helps the process of dealing with what life throws at us.
Regards,
Julie

Researching:
ORLANDO - One Name Study (everywhere & especially Sutera Sicily) - (GOONS 3925)
BUDD (Puttenham Surrey)
ELSTONE (Bramshott Hampshire)
GOUCHER (Scarcliffe Derbyshire)
MATTHEWS, Edith married Charles JELLEY 1902 Guildford. Descendants sought!
WORSHIP - One Name Study (especially Huntingdonshire)- (GOONS 3925)
BUTCHER - One Name Study (especially Wonersh Surrey) - (GOONS 3925)
Puttenham Surrey - One Place Study
Sutera Sicily - One Place Study

Offline Bushman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 20:43 BST (UK) »
I had been told as a small boy that my Great Grandfather had been a Headmaster at "Newport Grammar School".  In 1967, I was in the Royal Air Force, at Sharjah (Trucial Oman) and with nothing better to do one night, penned a letter to The Principal, Newport Grammar School, Monmouthshire.

Result.. nothing ... until 3 months later, I received a detailed letter from a retired gentleman who had been Principal of the Newport Technical Institute. He had done some research on the history of education in South Wales and came across a lot of information about my forebear. There was even a booklet published when the school re-organised, which had a picture and a write-up on Great Grandfather. He was a very clever man it seems. He bred white blackbirds as a hobby!!  We're all mad, I tell you! 

I was hooked - but only returned to it last year. Now it takes over my life!

Les
Bedford
Researching Bush and Craigen

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 22:27 BST (UK) »
Mine was done out of love (well that's what I say anyway)

My hubby's parents died when he was 4 (his dad) and 10 (his mum) and all he knew were his brothers and sisters.

He knewof no Grandparents, Aunties or Uncles or cousins. My dad was doing our side and as i was interested in doing it as well I decided to do Pete's

10 years later I have his Ancestors on both sides going back to the 1700's and early 1800's. One side goes back to 1478.

He now has 1st cousins who are in regular contact, 2nd cousins and 3rd cousins in touch by email and phone, Aunties and Uncles on his Mum's side that he never knew about and had never met until 3 years ago and we still visit them once a month. He never got to meet his Grandparents but we have photos of them on the "Family Wall"

He now cannot keep up with all the names and often has to ask me who they are and how they are related.

He now has "Family". He knows where he comes from and what his ancestors did and how they came to be in certain places such as India and Burma. He knows of his Dad's Army Service and his medals etc.

But yet again it hasn't been done just for him. In the end it is a story for our children and  all our nephews and nieces who now know where they come from.

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 22:43 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's comment that "my dad came from Leningrad" when I was showing him photos of my school trip to Russia in 1966.  As a 16 year old I wasn't too interested but the seed had been sown.

Now many years later I have found lots of people to add to my tree but as for the "Russian"........nothing! It has not helped that he did not marry my gtgrandma so no details on a certificate to help me.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 23:41 BST (UK) »
Always had an interest in the stories that my gran would tell me about her childhood and growing up. Was back at my parents at the time that Scotlandspeople launched a couple of years ago and signed up. Looked at the dates on the website and thought can't start at my grandparents as they were out of the year range and the thought of credits scared me. Did nothing with it. The 2 WDYTYA series sort of passed me by- wish I had watched them.
Got an email from ScotlandsPeople in March to say a new census online. Revisted the site (after retrieving the login details!!) and thought i could do with a challenge and a new hobby therefore reasoned that it didn't matter if couldn't look at my grandparents details on line:

I know the names of some of my great grandparents
when they had their oldest children were born
so can guess their marriage date
can get information from that to push it back
and can ask my parents when I don't know.

Also I'm not going to add to the line so if I don't do it then was worried that noone else would!

Gordon

Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 June 06 08:55 BST (UK) »
Finding some details of my gran's family in the family bible, I got nosy and decided to try and find out who these people were. 

She had started her family tree on the inside cover, her parents details, and her grandparents with dates of death. 

It's amazing how much has come from so little. :)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 June 06 10:56 BST (UK) »
When Gran Sarah died there was a big ding dong over who should have the family papers. My Aunt was the oldest of Sarah's children, but my Father was the oldest son. Now Aunt Win was not a person to be crossed. She had kept those boys under controll for a good few years, and she wasn't giving way. Dad was always a little(can I emphasize that) little rebel.
Dad won. Great surprise. He brought the 'little black box' home and went through the papers inside. One was my Gran Sarah's marriage certificate, yer actual thing, folks, not a copy. It was dated 1891.
Dad showed it to me because there were some 'funny names' on it. His Grandfathers had been DENCHFIELD Baker and QUINIOUS Bartlett. As a small child I found them very amusing, but I think that was when I realized that I wanted to know more about Denchfield and Quinious.
Well, the papers were locked away, and it was only on my Father's death, when everything came into my hands, that I saw that certificate again.
Unable to do anything towards solving the mystery then I put it aside, but it niggled.
Retired at last,  and with a COMPUTER, (new fangled gadget) and the INTERNET (even more new fangled gadgetry) I decided to wade in.
You know what I'm going to say. I didn't stand a chance, did I.
I now know all about Denchfield Baker, and how he came by the name. He was descended from some of the John Denchfields of North Marston, (if your name was Denchfield, you were either John or Richard) and I can go right back to Gefferie Deanchfield who died in 1603. Odd that, my cousin is Geoffry. No one knew it was a 'family' name.
Oh, and as for Quinious Bartlett, well.....When I looked hard enough, and compared it with a few census forms, and things, I found it was Francis Bartlett. I'm pretty good with old writing, when I had fingers, not bunches of bananas, I used to do a lot of the calligraphy stuff, but that name really had me going!
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 29 June 06 11:51 BST (UK) »
Amazing how one little thing can grow to be so big with a little bit of searching isn't it?

Lucky you to have the original marriage cert

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>