Author Topic: Advice on where to start looking for more recent emigrants  (Read 2896 times)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Advice on where to start looking for more recent emigrants
« on: Monday 06 February 06 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Please can anyone give me any advice on where to start looking for information about my mothers cousin James Whiteman who emigrated with his family to Canada sometime in the 1950s.  He was born in Ipswich Suffolk in 1923 and married Barbara Redpath in 1948, they had 4 children, but we are not sure how many of the children were born in England or wether some were born in Canada, it is possible that two of the children were called Donna & Debbie.

The only other information we have is that James was a merchant seaman (at the time of his wedding).

My mother who is in her 70s would love to be able to reestablish contact with this branch of the family - can anyone help? - I have tried Genes Re-united with no sucess - any ideas of where to start would be gratefully recieved

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Whiteman / Barbara Redpath / Suffolk to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 06 21:45 GMT (UK) »
chances are not big that this might be your James Whiteman...but one listed here:
http://findaperson.canada411.ca/

The last century is pretty hard to search, as little is available except perhaps obits...Just having it posted helps just in case there is a connection looking also...

I know that you had this request on the child resources board by mistake...so this will get it back to the top of the main board, where more can see it....but it's a toughie!  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on where to start looking for more recent emigrants
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 06 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi JJ

Thank you very much for that site - I had not found it before.  I am digging hard to try and find the names of James's 4 children which will give me a bit more to go with so thanks for the help

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk