Author Topic: Two Mordecai Markhams – surely they’re related!  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Hemingbrough Historian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Two Mordecai Markhams – surely they’re related!
« on: Tuesday 07 February 06 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Two Mordecai Markhams – surely they’re related!

Mordecai Markham was baptised on 21 October 1722 in Crowle, Lincolnshire, son of John Markham and Dinah, née Aldam.  His son Thomas was in born Airmyn in 1763 and lived in Howden from about 1799 until his death in 1846 – he is buried in Howden.

William Markham, born 1814 in Wressle, East Yorkshire, a blacksmith, names his first child Mordecai (1835 to 1839), the first Hebrew name in the family, then another of his sons in 1842 who changed his name to Thomas as an adult.  They were probably Primitive Methodists.

They are the only Mordecai Markhams around at that time – but they are so far unconnected.  Any thoughts would be really appreciated.
Atkin and Jarvis of Spalding, Lincolnshire; Markham of East Yorkshire

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Two Mordecai Markhams – surely they’re related!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 06 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi GymJunky

Your title says it all - "surely they're related!".  I would expect they probably are but how do we get some proof?

You say that they were the only Mordecai Markhams around at that time but you are spanning quite a period (1722 to the 20th Century).  I notice there are actually 2 Mordecai Markhams alive at the time of the 1861 census - these include your one (born 1842) and one born in 1856 in Maltby.  Could this be some more of the same family?

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Don't know if this topic is of any interest to you
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,88950.msg375795.html  but I recognised the name Mordercai and remembered doing a look up for someone.  Might be a connection

Fiona
Cutsforth - Hull
Blades/Donson - Lincolnshire
Forward - Hull/Lincolnshire/Polperro
Fryman - Grimsby
Seed - Dewsbury/Lincolnshire
McIlduff - Portadown/Glasgow
McIntosh - Aberdeen/Glasgow
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hemingbrough Historian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ticker and Fiona

Thank you for your interest and support.  I have also had some great help from researchers in the Isle of Axholme. Rootschat was excellent for linking me to them.
This is my Hypothesis: The Markham families of Wressell, East Yorkshire and Crowle, Lincolnshire are related.

My Ancestor, William Markham  of Wressell, East Yorkshire married a woman from Crowle, Lincolnshire .  They named their first-born son, Mordecai , (1835 – 1839) a rare name for a Christian, and not previously known in our family.  When Mordecai died, they named another son Mordecai  (1842).  In adult life, Mordecai changed his name to Thomas.

Living in Howden, four miles away, at that time was Thomas Markham, son of Mordecai Markham of Crowle . 

Mordecai of Crowle’s other children were John, Catherine and Martin.  Martin was another unusual name; there were only two Martin Markhams in the 1851 Census of England) and one was the 1st Cousin of the William Markham of Wressell, above.     

------
For this enquiry, I am concerned only with two generations of Lincolnshire Markhams and an overlapping generation of Yorkshire Markhams living only five miles apart from 1814 to 1845.

So far, I have established both clans had a Blacksmith Dynasty so it's off to Kew to dig a bit deeper. This is part of my interest in knowing if the Markhams sailed down the Trent from their Sherwood Forest origins, leaving families in their wake.

The Mordecai Markham Fiona turned up was one of my Yorkshire ancestors. Thanks again.
Atkin and Jarvis of Spalding, Lincolnshire; Markham of East Yorkshire