Author Topic: *COMPLETED* LEGGS of CARRICKFERGUS  (Read 25092 times)

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: LEGGS of CARRICKFERGUS
« Reply #27 on: Friday 19 June 09 15:33 BST (UK) »
I am doing some research online and can only find these entries for Royal Engineers campaign medals for WWI for the following:

Nothing for Charles M Legg.

Charles H Legg    Royal Engineers   Rank: 2nd Corporal

Charles E Legg    Royal Engineers   Rank: Sapper

Charles Legg       Royal Engineers    Rank: Sapper

I cannot find any records of campaign medals awarded to Charles Legg, 2nd Lieutenant 203rd company Royal Engineers and named on the site you kindly gave me the link to. I shall try and contact the owner of the site and ask them where they received their information from. In the interim I shall send for the image of Charles H Legg's campaign medal records as I feel this to be the most likely candidate as the son of OUR Charles M Legg. Incidentally, have you noted how Charles H when written can look like Charles M. Just a thought.  :)

Best wishes again

Debbie

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: LEGGS of CARRICKFERGUS
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 20 June 09 11:47 BST (UK) »
Following the posts I sent you with regards to Charles M Legg snr, I found the 1911 census with details of 'Uncle Charlie's 'children which you no doubt have:

Charles McFerran (?) Legg  head  52, Shipowner/Coal Merchant   married
Hugh Gordon Legg  son  23  Clerk coal Office  single
Edith Elizabeth    dau  22
Emma   dau 20  undergraduate Oxford
Annie McKinney (?) Legg  dau 15  scholar
Charles  son  17 undergraduate Queens Univ
Frances Havergal (?) Legg dau 13 scholar
Sarah Hassan Domestic Servant  20

I noted on the site you linked me to regarding Charles Legg who died in WWI, that you mentioned your grandfather was a Hugh G Legg, so I wondered which Hugh G Legg you meant. This one in the 1911 census or the Hugh G Legg found on this site: http://www.historyfromheadstones.com/index.php?displaygraveyardinfo&graveyard_name=Victoria%20Cemetery., who on a visit from Cape Town obviously in 1904 with his wife, dedicated £1000 to the cemetery and in memorial to his deceased parents.
Based on this, it is clear to me that there are TWO Hugh G Leggs and one of them emigrated to South Africa. I am wondering if this is a brother or uncle to both Charles and Samuel.

I spoke again to my mother in law late last night and without any encouragement or prompting on my part, she proceeded to tell me that she thought that Uncle Charlies middle name "M" must be the surname MacFerran as she had cousins with that name, (she believes they came from Dublin) and in fact some time after 1945 and before 1949 a John (?) MacFerran visited her father Jack Legg and their family in Croydon. She was apologetic she could not remember his first name and when I gave her the names of Uncle Charlies children she admitted that she had never heard of them and if her father was bound to have mentioned them she would have forgotten. She was pleased but not the least surprised to learn that Uncle Charlie had other children even though she knew nothing about them or could not remember them.

Unless I hear any further from you I shall not post anymore information on this particular thread concerning dear old Uncle Charlie and his children or the Legg family and shall mark this *completed* even though it is far from being so. If you would like, you can send me a private message on here and I shall be happy to give you my e-mail address.  :)

To re-iterate, you do seem to be related to my husband and mother in law, distant cousins in fact as you share the same Charles M Legg one way or another.

Best wishes

Debbie   ;D

Offline leggbiz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: *COMPLETED* LEGGS of CARRICKFERGUS
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 20 June 09 19:35 BST (UK) »
Fascinating. I have no idea how to send a private message on here but I'm sure somebody will tell me and I'd be delighted to correspond directly with you.

My grandfather, Hugh Gordon Legg, was born in 1887 so clearly NOT the one referred to on the "Headstones" site. This becomes very confusing however as I am South African having been born in Cape Town as a result of my grandfather emigrating there himself. This seems to be an extraordinary coincidence.

Thanks so much for the page about the yacht. This would appear to suggest that there is a connection between our two families. Was John Legg a brother of Charles? The only siblings we have record of are Hugh Gordon Legg (b. 1853) and Eileen Legg. Now I wonder if THIS HG Legg was in Cape Town before my grandfather and gave him the idea to emigrate there. He could be the HG Legg who made the £1,000 gift to Carrickfergus.

We have no record of a brother, Samuel so this is clearly worthy of further research.

I attach a photograph of the memorial stone in Legg Park.

kind regards
Hugh

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 June 09 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hugh- after you've made 3 posts you'll be able to use PM (personal message) system.
www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cathyyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 03 November 11 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am working on a project called the Living History of East Antrim. For this project I am working with people in Carrickfergus, Larne and Newtownabbey to look at local history. 2 of my participants have been researching Legg park. Would anyone here with all the mountain of information be interested in helping out?

Cathy

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 03 November 11 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am working on a project called the Living History of East Antrim. For this project I am working with people in Carrickfergus, Larne and Newtownabbey to look at local history. 2 of my participants have been researching Legg park. Would anyone here with all the mountain of information be interested in helping out?

Cathy
Hi Cathy,

I'm not sure if I can help as I postponed my research of this family some time ago. You can obviously glean that there seemed to have been some discrepency regarding who the Park was intended in memorial for. I do have a fair amount of information on the Leggs, but much of it you'll find here.

I'd certainly be interested in any other information your 'researchers' have come up with regarding this family. The gentleman from South Africa, Hugh and I are no longer in correspondence. Neither one of us lives in N. Ireland.

If you would like to contact me privately, please do so

Best
Debbie  :)

Offline cathyyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 04 November 11 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Debbie. I have a meeting on Wednesday night and will see what has been put together for then. If you don't mind I would love to run the information we have past you :)

Cathy

Offline sallytisse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Legg experts,
I am researching my Thompson family. Richard Thompson had at least two children in Carrickfergus. Millar Thompson 1834 - my great grandfather - and Marcella Legge Thompson 1841. One of Millar's daughters was called Caroline Marcella Leg Antonia Thompson.
Would anyone know who Richard was married to (I know nothing about him)  and where Marcella Leg/Legge comes into the picture?
Best regards to all,
Sally Gillmor

Offline lizcarrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 04 October 15 12:20 BST (UK) »
I have just spent a few days in PRONI in Belfast - the folder D1800 contains 88 documents, related to the Thompson and Legg families, 1796 - 1934. You can get a summary of the contents from the PRONI website but I think you would need to go in person to find a specific document.