Author Topic: Reliability of 1851 census or dishonesty of employer? COMPLETED  (Read 813 times)

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Reliability of 1851 census or dishonesty of employer? COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 07 February 06 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I feel very naive asking this, but here goes -  would it have been possible to try and conceal the identity of an unmarried young woman, who at the time of the 1851 census was expecting a baby?
According to the returns for that year, a 21 year old male by the name of J. Gains b. Finghall was employed as a servant in Exelby.
I am researching Jane Gains, b.1829 in, or so I thought, Hunton, but now quite possibly Finghall.
The fact they have used an initial (I have seen this before but not during any personal research) makes me wonder, could either the enumerator have made a genuine mistake, or due to the circumstances were the family trying to hide her?
This is the only year I haven't managed to track her down!
Has anyone had a similar experience? If so I would be very grateful to hear from you.
Thankyou for reading this, I do hope it makes sense!

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suegill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability of 1851 census or dishonesty of employer?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I don't think anyone would have gone to the extremes you have suggested to conceal the identity of Jane Gains.  If someone really didn't want her to be found they just wouldn't mention her.  Remember in 1851 the enumerator went around to all the houses and asked who was there that night.  He didn't necessarily see everyone.

May be she is just mistranscribed or just accidently missed from the census.  She also might have gone elesewhere to "visit a relative" to hide her pregnancy.

Sue
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Alker - Aspull, Hindley
Marsh - Atherton
Blain - Atherton
Gill - Atherton
Hogg - Loscoe, Crich
Harrison - Heanor, Ruddington
Earnshaw - Heanor
Cope - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley
Daykin - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability of 1851 census or dishonesty of employer?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Sue,
I found it difficult to make myself clear - only a beginner at RootsChat.
I have already checked this out at the records office etc. and only one J. Gains born at that time and in that vicinity, definitely female.
The area I am researching consists of several small villages, radius approx 8 miles, sometimes only 20 houses or less. The enumerators lived in the parish and would most likely have known most of the 'goings on'.
This is why I wasn't sure how accurate the records were expected to be. There is a possible connection between the employers of J. Gains, in Exelby and the village where my relative lived.
I am quite close to tracing the 'father' hence the interest regarding her whereabouts on that particular night.
Oh happy days!
Thankyou very much for responding so quickly!

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk