Author Topic: Mystery In Law *Completed* thank you  (Read 6667 times)

Offline Chris_9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery In Law *Completed* thank you
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 September 14 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Mary SHEFFER (nee HODGE) spent the last 32 years of her life in the Glamorgan Lunatic Asylum near Bridgend.   I have made digital photo copies of the entries in the Asylum records.

There seems to have been a mental health / mental illness / Autistic Spectrum Disorder thread running back into the Cornish line.   It's been a while since I did anything on this, but the Asylum records refer to an ancestor related to Mary and Bessie's mother dying in the Cornish Asylim.

It's left me wondering whether the conditions the Cornish miners worked in extracting lead, zinc, copper, tin -- resulted in causing these problems?????

Sorry, I don't know who you are.   Can you help me out?

I would prefer ordinary e-mail but don't know how to do that.

Offline danny94

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 September 14 13:19 BST (UK) »
That's very interesting, I found records relating to her being in the asylum but that was only after looking here.

Unfortunately, I don't yet know anything about any relatives with mental illness further back. Compared to other sides of our family we know relatively little about the Hodges.

I'm descended from Mary and Bessie's sister, Emma. She's my great-great-great grandmother.

I'll pm you my email!

Dan

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dan,

I'm bringing this thread back to life after all these years. Myself (Bessie's descendant) and Chris (Mary's descendant) have kept in contact. I didn't realise there was a new post on here from a descendant of another of the sisters.

I'll be happy to share the information I have on the family. I have photographs of Bessie and Mary.

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk