Author Topic: Cemetery in Ahade, Co. Carlow  (Read 14249 times)

Offline tomdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery in Ahade, Co. Carlow
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 March 10 13:45 GMT (UK) »
aghade church has an old catholic graveyard on one side of it and a protestant one on the other,there is a catholic cemetery in ballon which is about 2 miles away. also one in tullow which is about 3-4 miles away
Roche -tullow,co.Carlow...Doyle-graignamanagh co.kilkenny..Bridgetts-graignamanagh,co.kilkenny...O'Brien -tullow,co.carlow

Offline tomdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 March 10 11:37 GMT (UK) »
been down to the graveyard ad Aghade ,i havent been able to locate a headstone regarding Kane.i  brought a camera to take a few photos.guess what ,bloody battery goes dead.some headstones there (catholic ones) go back to 1770.ones that can be read.there are also granite stone markers for headstones ,no inscriptions at all...up the road there is a t-junction called Kanes cross because a family of kanes lived there up to the early 1950s..i will be in ballon cemetery soon and will check there for any kanes..
Roche -tullow,co.Carlow...Doyle-graignamanagh co.kilkenny..Bridgetts-graignamanagh,co.kilkenny...O'Brien -tullow,co.carlow

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 March 10 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Tom,

My thanks to you for looking for the headstone of my grandfather. Did you see any graves from the 1930s or 40s?

And, just wondering about the spelling, is Aghade and Ahade one and the same place?

Thanks again Tom.

Will Kane

Offline tomdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 March 10 12:53 GMT (UK) »
 i saw on some of the headstones both spellings,i was speaking with our neighbour who can remember an auction at kanes house in the 1950s either they had died or were emigrating. i will look in ballon graveyard,,the headstones are more readable.there is also an old graveyard near the  ''Bog Lane'' 2 miles from ballon..there are kanes living there still.....regarding burials of 30s and 40s ther ars some but no kanes that i saw,.

Offline tomdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 March 10 12:59 GMT (UK) »
in the 1911 census there are 2 kanes living in carrigslaney, Hugh and Elizabeth.any relation..the 1911 census is online.

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 March 10 15:53 GMT (UK) »
in the 1911 census there are 2 kanes living in carrigslaney, Hugh and Elizabeth.any relation..the 1911 census is online.

Not to my knowledge, Tom, but entirely possible. Thanks again for your efforts.

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 April 10 11:29 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this has been suggested to you already on the older thread but have you tried contacting the funeral directors in Carlow? They should have records of the cemetery if you can give them enough info on your grandfather. I've used this tactic with a fair amount of success. Just look them up in the Golden Pages phonebook.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork