Author Topic: Anyone recognise these hats?  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recognise these hats?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Well done, Merched.  Great photo.
 I love trying to match the faces to relatives.
     All the legs crossed daintily at the ankles too!!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Sadly, they're all dead now. The last to die was my cousin, the page boy, who died last autumn. The two women on the left are my Mum's older sisters, then her niece. The woman on the extreme right was called 'Aunty Mary Ann' (I've still not found her  :(). Next to her is my Nain, Dad's mother who was a volunteer nurse in the First World War. She died when I was 4 in 1949 - a lovely woman.
Sorry, I deviate from the initial request. My photo is definitely younger, so the original must be the 1920s.
Merched
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 February 06 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Of course it is possible that ALf and Nell are not rellies but just some friends, maybe an old school friend or neighbour or work colleague, that your gran happened to keep in touch with for a bit and sent  a wedding present to. Perhaps she kept the family phots separate, which she showed you, and then other photos of friwnds etc were separate and she never bothered to show them to family, thinking they wouldnt mean anything as you never knew them.
I must have lots of wedding photos in my old albums of that kind, many of which I have now completely lost touch with. I would hate my descendants to spend time trying to work out who they are and how related!

Just a thought!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 February 06 02:16 GMT (UK) »
The bride and the younger lady in the front row both have mid-calf (or lower) skirt lengths so perhaps the first half of the 20s?  1926 was supposed to be the year when hems rose to knee length so I'd go for earlier than that - the first half of the 20s.  Also, the bridesmaids' hats have fairly large brims whereas I think that hats tended to the brimless cloche as the 20s proceeded.  Older ladies probably kept wearing long dresses for quite a while but would they have done so right into the second half of the 20s?  Perhaps the two 'Grans' might have but surely not the one who might  be the bride's mother.

JAP

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 February 06 03:36 GMT (UK) »

Is the man on the right front wearing spats?

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 February 06 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizdb, JAP and Beth

Thanks VERY much for your contributions - They really help  ;D

Lizdb

I had thought about Alf and Nellie being friends rather than relatives - I think it's actually Nellie who's the contact as there's another photo in this collection with a 'love from Nellie' on it (could be a different Nellie of course  :P ) However, most of the photos in the album are identifiable as relatives, so I think the question is an open one. Doesn't make things easy though and I must admit that most of the photos I have of my own generation are friends as I have almost no relatives  on this side of the world.

JAP

Your comments about the clothes help a lot. I think I must be a poor pattern matcher with visual things (although pretty good on concepts ::) ) because I can't really fit the historical costume examples I've looked at on the web into any kind of structure in my mind that I can use for comparison (not sure that makes sense, but still....) So it's really helpful to have someone else's reasoning to look at!

My grandmother was, herself, married in 1916 aged 20, so if Alf and Nellie were friends/contemporaries  (following Lizdb's possibility), this would also match with it being an earlier rather than later date.

Beth

The spats are an interesting idea  :) I had assumed that the chap was wearing light socks. That would have been considered as poor taste when I had anything to do with weddings, but perhaps it was normal at that period..... Wouldn't spats have covered a bit more of the shoe? I've never seen them so I don't really know...

If we think possibly early 1920's it gives me a reasonable window to look at. I think I might have to get to the Somerset record office soon and look through the North Perrott weddings in case they actually married there. Wish work didn't keep getting in the way!

Thanks again

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 July 06 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks

Just in case anyone would like to know the conclusion to this story - I've identified the wedding and several of the people in the photo (you've no idea how excited I am about this  ::) )

The wedding took place in 1924, so your (combined) dating analysis was spot on  ;D

It all fell into place yesterday when a book I won on ebay arrived. It was a memoir of North Perrott and had a few pictures in it, including one containing the very distinctive looking chap next to the end on the right in the front row. The book names him as Percy Willmott. He's in my tree and had a sister Ellen. Later in the book it says that Ellen Willmott married Alfred Mabey. Looking in GRO, I found it - 1924!!! So there we are - Alf and Nell.....

They do turn out to be relatives of my Gran but it's a pretty remote connection, so it looks like they were really more friends than relations.

Moral of the story - never give up on tracing obscure family photos!!!!

Thanks to everyone for their help

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire