Author Topic: 21 David Street, Blaengarw, Llangeinor  (Read 8007 times)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
21 David Street, Blaengarw, Llangeinor
« on: Wednesday 08 February 06 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone any ideas how I can find out who was living at this address in 1896? My grandmother was born there and I have this vague recollection that her mother went to relatives for the birth of this, her first, child.

I looked at the 1891 and 1901 censuses and they have different families living there and I don't recognise them. Does anyone know if there were street directories or anything for the region in 1896?

In case it helps, my grandmother's name was Alice Kathleen (or Kathleen Alice) Slade and her parents were Henry Robert and Elizabeth Mary Slade (nee Abbott).

Thanks very much for reading this. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated  ;D

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
Re: 21 David Street, Blaengarw, Llangeinor
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 06 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, badgirl  :)

I didn't realise the Genuki pages were quite so informative in that region. It's given me some good background information.

By the way, the link didn't quite work for me, I had to use a variant -
http://www.genuki.org.uk:8080/big/wal/GLA/Llangeinor/

I still can't see where to find who was at that address in 1896 though  :(

Thanks again

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 10:47 GMT (UK) »
If anybody has a 1991 census disc then i am sure you can do an address search. Have you tried searching for the address on the 1901 census? I probabbly forgot to put the last '/' onto the link!!! I know the Llangeinor area very well but i am not sure how much it has changed since then. Try looking for old photos of it online to see if they are the same houses. I will have a look later on to see what i can find.
 ;)
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Just read your first post again and i can see you have already checked both census'. I will do some digging around to see what i can find. ;)
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi badgirl

Thanks very much for your efforts on my behalf - I really appreciate it  :)

Local knowledge is so useful. If you want any help in Gloucestershire, let me know  ;D

Angela

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what the baby was called that she had at that address? You may be able to find something via birth records. I have scoured the net with no luck at all. Apparently national Archives wales have health records but i get lost amongst the jargon. I had family living in llangeinor at that time but at Alexandra Road. Its awkward as its between census'. If they rented the house maybe there are rental details in the archives somewhere or land deeds to see owned it. I will keep looking and if i find anything i will let you know. ???
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that!

The baby was my grandmother, Alice Kathleen (or Kathleen Alice) Slade and I have her birth certificate, which is why I know where she was born. However, I do know it wasn't their home so thought they must be visiting relatives and I've been having problems tracing some of the relatives - hence the question  ???

I'm sure none of my relatives were rich enough to have owned a house, so your idea about rental records is promising.

Don't go to too much trouble on my behalf, but if you do find a hopeful source of information I shall be very grateful  ;D

Thanks again

Angela

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Well no luck at all. I thought i had found something on archive network wales for tenancies in Llangeinor but it was for Oxford street. From what i gather David street is in Pontycymmer as i found land for sale on the old site of 1-3 David Street. There must be a way of finding out who lived there!!!I think land deeds are the best way to go and try to find rental agreements via those. I will keep looking though ???
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London