Author Topic: Cothouse description  (Read 5569 times)

Offline chloespop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cothouse description
« on: Wednesday 08 February 06 15:31 GMT (UK) »
In the 1841 census, my great-great grandparents Samuel and Mary Phillips Scott and eight of their children were living in the Cothouse of Glenturk. The only description I can find of a cothouse is that it was a "small cottage."

If anyone can tell me what a typical "small cottage" was like, I would appreciate it.

Regards,

Fred Smith

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cothouse description
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 06 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Fred,
From my understanding it is (like you say) a small cottage which which was provided for a labourer & their family to live in by the farm or estate that they worked for. We have lots of them round here (Stoneykirk) but they're no longer called cothouses just a cottage. If I've assumed rightly (I'll check with my local "font of all knowledge"!) they are usually one storey with door in the middle & two windows either side with only 2-3 small rooms & possibly a small patch of ground around about- however that could be just around here & I might have assumed wrongly !!I'll see if I can find one up for sale for you to look at & maybe someone else might provide a far better description!!
You might find this site useful for various Scottish words both ancient & modern! http://perso.wanadoo.fr/euroleader/wedderburn/glossaryC.htm

Bye for now
Woodydog
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire
Settle - Halifax & Brighouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chloespop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 06 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Woodydog,

Thanks very much for the information. Apparently, privacy wasn't an issue with Samuel and Mary since they had 14 children.  One of those children was my great-grandmother Margaret, who was a servant at Glenturk Farm in the 1841 census.  She married Hugh Smith, and they came to America with their two children in 1850.

William, one of the eight children living at Glenturk cothouse, came to America in 1848.  He became a successful farmer in Dallas county, Iowa. If you are interested in a short bio of William, there is one at:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyorlean.htm

It was written about 1908. Quite a difference from his cothouse days.

Best regards,

Fred

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 06 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Glad to have helped a little Fred- I've had a snoop around and this link might help with the description a little although you'll have to use your imagination and it is listed as larger than a normal cothouse- guess that's because it's the farm as well!
I'll go and have a look at William's bio........
Bye for now
Rose
Whitaker- Halifax
Nixon- London

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 06 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Whitaker- Halifax
Nixon- London

Offline chloespop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 February 06 17:28 GMT (UK) »
I had a senior moment, too. The link should have been

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyorlean/scott.htm

I hope I got that right.

I looked at your link and used my imagination. Thanks. No doubt the Glenturk cothouse was stone, but most likely no bathroom.

Fred

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 February 06 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred
Your comment that 'privacy wasn't an issue' intrigued me because we take it for granted. It is a very modern phenomenon.  In my child hood in the 1940s families of 14 or 15 children were common whether the parents were in mining or agriculture in occupation. If you went to visit friends and had to stay overnight children wer put to bed head to toe alternating across the bed. Gender didn't matter. Older children might squeeze in later at their bedtime. Parents would drag out a mattress onto the living-room floor and sleep there.
Poor Glasgow families could all be squeezed into a 'single-end' - a 1 roomed flat. A bigger flat would be a room and kitchen' The kitchen was the main living area with possibly a bed recess. Families living in this luxury might supplement their income by taking in a boarder. One of my relatives had a 3 roomed flat. They lived there with their 4 children, their uncle a single male border and a married couple!!!
We still haven't figured out where they all would sleep!
My Edinburgh grandmother was quite posh. Her flat had a bedroom and a front 'parlour'. Even the parlour had a 'box bed'. What looked like cupboard was actually a bed when you opened up the door. Nobody could afford to have claustrophobia in those days, Her kitchen also had a bed recess. This was the best place to sleep because you were in the same room as the old black grate where all the cooking was done.
You slept with your socks on because , not only was it cold, getting up onto cold linoleum was a chilling experience.
All in all there was no room for privacy, dignity and observance of personal space. It didn't exist.
P.S. Going out to the half-landing to the loo on a cold night justified having a china receptacle under the bed!
From an old stager

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline chloespop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 February 06 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Russell,

Yes, you're right. The concept of privacy is rather new. Since I was an only child, I didn't get stacked in with brothers and sisters in the shabby flats my parents rented during the '30's and '40's. Usually they had more rooms than you described, but I do remember sleeping in the attic of one of the less palatial places we lived when I was seven or eight. None of our friends or relatives had families with 14 or 15 children, so visiting wasn't too much of a problem.

Thanks very much for the glimpse of life in the '40's. My wife and I enjoyed your message.

Fred