Author Topic: Hugeonots?  (Read 8747 times)

Offline cjfingland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hugeonots?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 September 09 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi there I have a relatively extensive tree of sennitts as my great great grandmother was one and Id love to share and get any info you guys have!!
Cheers
Fingland, Sennit, Duke, Nicholas, Gibson, Helm, Fraser

Offline m.sharp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sennitt Name
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 September 09 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Of course, wot would u like to know?
Margaret
COLLISON; SENNITT; MONEY; GOTOBED; HITCH; LOWE;LANGFORD;LEAVENS: SENNITT(CAMBRIDGE)  LANE; GUDGE;BASHFORD(SURREY)  NEWMAN; SHARP;(MIDDLESEX)
COLLISON; DOWSING (SUSSEX: KENT) WYATT/EAST; CUTLER (BUCKS.)SENNETT/SENNITT: ASHTON: (CAMBRIDGE, CHELSEA, ISLINGTON, CAMBERWELL.)

Offline cjfingland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks! Id love to know Francis Sennitts (b. 1685 in Cottenham) death date and place and those of his children. He is as far back as my tree goes. A john Sennitt (b. 1800 in Stretham) and Ann Howlett (b. 1801) had many children of which Im decended of one but I dont have a lot of information on their family only years of birth.
Thanks Again

Offline Anne L

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 January 11 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I am also descended from John Sennitt and Ann nee Howlett. It is through Ann that this line of Sennitts was descended from Huguenots - though  they arrived in England before the main wave of Huguenots and were therefore not strictly speaking Huguenots. Ann Howlett was the daughter of Joseph Howlett and Ann nee Kimpton, originally from Cottenham. Ann Kimpton was the daughter of William Kimpton and Sarah Perril who married at Oakington in 1753. William was the son of William Kimpton and Mary nee Oasland - daughter of Henry Oasland and his wife Elizabeth, who lived at Cottenham. Henry is one of the 3 dissenting preachers who are buried at Oakington just outside the churchyard. His father Henry was from Rock in Worcestershire who studied at Trinity College, Cambridge and became a Church of England vicar. He was one of those who refused to accept the Act of Uniformity in 1662 and was ousted from the church. He married a widow Mary Bradley, nee Henzey whose father Joshua Henzey was the son of Ananais de Hennezel, a glassmaker and Protestant living in the Lorraine region of France who came to England in about 1590 - for a combination of religious and economic reasons. Two other de Hennezels came over at the same time along with some Tyzacks - another glassmaking family with whom they intermarried. Ananais settled near Stoubridge which had the best minerals for glass. These families were amongst the first to produce flat glass. A member of Genes Reunited has traced the Henzeys back to William the Conqueror (through his daughter Princess Adela).
I am convinced that the name 'is simply a variation of 'Sennett'. I have sometimes seen it spelt 'Sennight' which is an old fashioned word from sevennight - meaning a week. I feel sure that Sennitt was originally a mispelling from someone who associated the name with the word.
I am descended from John S and Ann nee Howlett's son Joseph Howlett Sennitt and would be interested to know how you are connected.

Anne L

Offline cjfingland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 January 11 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne
I too am decended through Joseph Howlett Sennitt, through his daughter Agnes Ann Sennitt. She was the mother of my great grandfather. I have seen the tree of decended from William the conquerer, though my own research cannot confirm back quite so far I am working on it. My email address is (*) I would love to hear from you and share some more research!
Cheers, Chloe

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Anne L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 January 11 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chloe

Thanks for your swift response. I am the great grand-daughter of John Baxter Sennitt – Agnes’s older brother – so that makes us third cousins once removed. Unfortunately, your email address was removed by Rootschat and this is only the second comment I have posted so, at the moment, I can’t access the Personal Message system – but when I can, I’ll let you have my email address too.

Do you know Valerie Watson? She has a detailed family tree of the descendants of JHS and keeps up with all branches of the family. Through her, my mother and I met Ruth Harrison, a grand-daughter of Agnes - was she your grandmother, or are you descended from her uncle Herbert? I discovered our link to Henry Oasland through Valerie and then worked further back. I sent copies of the William the Conqueror tree to Valerie and to Ruth as well as some other Sennitt descendants. I would be interested to find out more about the Howletts and the Kimptons but have not managed to get very far back.

We are also supposed to be descended from Oliver Cromwell but I have not found the link – though we are descended from the Russells of Stretham which is near to the Russells in Fordham, Wicken and Chippenham with whom the Cromwell family intermarried.

As for Francis Sennitt, he seems to have been the first Sennitt in Stretham but I found some earlier Sennitts in Cottenham, including a Frances, Susanna and Edward. There is a Francis in the generation before who came from Cambridge – so I have tentatively put this Francis as Edward’s father. The first entry in the Stretham parish register for a Sennitt was the baptism of Mary, daughter of Francis, in 1712. Francis was a yeoman and he was buried at Stretham in 1738 – 15 years after his wife Damaris. Damaris is taken by a local historian to be Damaris Reade daughter of another local yeoman, John Reade. Damaris is not a common name so this is probably so but, if so, you would have expected their marriage to have been at Stretham but there does not seem to be an entry for this in the Register.

Are you a member of Genes Reunited? My tree is on there. Will be interested to hear more about your research.

Regards

Anne

Offline cjfingland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 January 11 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne
Ruth and I used to write to one another untill sadly she passed away. That is great that you got to meet her. She did send me the william the conquerer tree which was great. Yes Herbert was my great grandfather.
I do not know Valerie though I see that she is in my tree. I would love to contact her if she needs any info on my branch. Do you live in England? If soo where abouts?
I will have a look for your tree on Genes Reunited. Once we can exchange emails I will gladly send you the info I have. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of birth certificate, marriage certificates etc as I live in Australia so it can be difficult to get them.
I have that Francis and Damaris were married in 1711 but also have not yet found record of it. But you never know as the records keeping system in the past has not always been great!
Excited to exchange more info!
Cheers Chloe

Offline Anne L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 January 11 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chloe

Thanks for your reply. I am sure that Valerie would love to hear from you. She is not online but I could give you her address once I have your email address. She likes to keep up to date with all the descendants of JHS and Anne nee Baxter. She gave me the family tree and I used it for my tree on Genes Reunited but I excluded living people and can't remember if she has you on her tree. 

I have seen photographs of your great grandfather's second wedding - to his cousin Pearl Sennitt, in about 1964. My great aunt and great uncle were there (Grace Campion and Ric (Frederic) Sennitt).

We visited Ruth at her house in St Ives not long before she moved to Oakington to be near 2 of her daughters, which is coincidentally where Henry Oasland is buried in the Dissenters' tomb. Valerie and I met a local historian there a few years before that and found out quite a lot about the Dissenting ministers.

There was a Sennitt family which emigrated to Australia something like 100 years ago - they were ice cream manufacturers and were descended from a half brother of our John (1800-68).

I have posted 3 messages now so should be able to access the personal messenging service and let you have my email address.

Regards

Anne

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Just discovered this thread, five minutes before I am due to go out!  Will get back to it though.  I have a registered one name study on SENNETT (with GOONS) and out of interest, though knowing this was probably a completely separate line, I have reconstructed a family tree that links well over 350 of these names, right back to Francis and Damaris.  Was interested to see that this then links to the Sennitts of Cottenham, as that was where I was next going to look.  Would love to swap and share information with any of you.  PM me, or email to sennett at one-name dot org, or use the link from the guild of one-name studies website.

And no, even though some of this line later ended up spelling it as SENNETT, it doesn't seem to have any links at all to the Yorkshire Sennetts (descended from James and Joseph of Ireland) or the Cornish SENNETTs (that I have mostly linked back to a Jephtha SENNETT) or some of the other lines of Sennetts from Ireland.