Author Topic: Can you identify this Uniform and Date Please ?  (Read 10849 times)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can you identify this Uniform and Date Please ?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 February 06 16:30 GMT (UK) »
hello,
oooh, cheeky! ;D
it certainly looks like it might be doesn't it.
I've put a request on the photo board to ask (PrueM) if the photo can be dated? so that may be a good place to start. If we can date the photo we can nail the regiment? maybe!
thanks Harribobs.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 09 February 06 16:40 GMT (UK) »

How come Rochdale gets all the fun .... again  :P :P :P :P

As a start - you might want to start thinking about where your Mum's and Stepdad's family came from!! ::)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 February 06 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Don't think its my Mums as have very little photos of that side surviving family split.  But that was Wales.
Step father was London/Middlesex.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 February 06 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Newbie,

I would throw my lot in with Harribobs on this except that I am unsure of the time frame. The only other thing that I can add is that it is a watch chain and fob end that is coming from his breast pocket and hanging down via the button. It also appears to have either a coin or a medallion dangling from the chain.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 February 06 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Allahabad for sure and K. Roh or K. Rohm or K. Roehm perhaps as the photographer.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 February 06 21:48 GMT (UK) »
did someone mention middlesex,the middlesex regt had a dark border round their stripes,just like the man in the picture,hes definately in the tropics because hes wearing the clip on type stripes and insignia,it was so he could wash his uniform without unpicking the thread all the time and sewing them back on again,the heat out there would mean he had to change his uniform daily,i am with chris on this one,1901-1910,very nice picture,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 February 06 07:42 GMT (UK) »
PrueM asked me to redo a better resolution scan of just the writing, I decided to try "autolevel " thingy as well, I think this may make it easier to determine?

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 February 06 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Old Rowley,
Thanks for the information, I wondered whether it was part of his uniform that I could see, but a watch chain and fob will do nicely.

Hack, does the new scan help with the writing? I think the first one is an M? definitely looks like it may be Allahabad now ? thanks for the help.

Mack,
hello again so its Middlesex Reg't,  in the Tropics, do you think it could be the same chap that you helped me with before, he was in the Middlesex, you called him an "an old contemptible". but he signed up in 1914? I have a researcher looking for his papers at Kew but haven't found them yet.

Chris (Harribobs?)  thank you again,

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 February 06 09:05 GMT (UK) »
It's photographed at Allahabad and the photographers name was M. B. XXXXX

an 'Old Contemptible' was a soldier that fought right at the start of the first world war, it comes from a remark (supposedly) made by the kaiser, referring to the British army as 'that contempable little army'

cheers

chris