Author Topic: Location of St Mary's church Bitton/oldland ?  (Read 8800 times)

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Location of St Mary's church Bitton/oldland ?
« on: Saturday 25 September 04 04:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Could anyone with knowledge of Oldland Common area point me in the right direction on this map ( the map  is from the late  1800's)
( I hope this attachment works)

I have The marriage cert of two of my ancestors.
One which is George Quarman who lived at "cowhorn hill " ( top of oldland common, where it sort of tapers in. His wife Elizabeth Oldland lived the other side of the common from him ( to the left of the common) "court Lane" . The Marriage Cert says they were married at St Mary's, in the parish of  Bitton in  1884.

I can't find a St Mary's on this map,  I can only find a St Ann's church.
They lived at this common before and after their married, so I am assuming the church is around this area somewhere close to where they lived.
But am I looking in the right place? or is this church  a bit further afield, off this map?

I have absolutely no knowledge of the area myself, and I  am trying to locate on a map where the church is.

When I search for St Mary's  church  Gloucestershire , I am getting this old church in my results http://www.stmarysbitton.org/default.htm, Would this be the church I'm looking for? Or are there many Churches around Bitton with this name? ( excuse my ignorance, but I don't have much of a clue on this  area of the UK :) )

Thank's for any help :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Location of St Mary's church Bitton/oldland ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 September 04 20:17 BST (UK) »
St. Mary's is in Bitton. St. Anne's is in Oldland Parish.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TracyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm not replying in response to where St Mary's is but to the fact that you're researching Quarmans who moved to Wales. My mother-in-law's mother was Ada Quarman, born 1898 in Pontypridd, father Alfred, mother Florence Rosina Batten, Alfred's father was George & mother Elizabeth Oldland both from Bitton. I have a copy of their marriage certificate and George's father was Samuel.

Here I get stuck. There's no sign of Quarmans, or any derivative of their name, on any of the census info going further back than 1881. The only Samuel that I can find of the right age is on the LDS site with father Samuel, mother Elizabeth & if that's the right connection then they go back to the 1600's.

I can see from earlier postings that you're in Australia, where do you fit in to the Quarman's, my mother-in-law would be fascinated. You're the first I've come across looking at this line.

:D
Researching Muckles from Chatton, Ords from Bamburgh early 1800's, Fyalls originally from St Monans in Scotland, Troughtons - Cumberland to Tynemouth, Rollestones from Leicester & Old, Quarmans from Somerset

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TracyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 17:12 BST (UK) »
 :)p.s Alfred and Florence are on the 1901 census in Wales under the name Ouasman. I knew that Ada was born in 1898 in Ponty so looked for a 3 year old Ada & found them.

Alfred 28 b. Bitten, Coal miner
Florence 25, b. Bristol
Alfred 8, b. Monmouth
Bertie 6, b. Oldland common
Ada 3, b. Ynysybwl
Gwladys 1, b. Ynysybwl

Which one are you descended from? My mother-in-law is Joy, your father will be her first cousin. I did ask her if she knew of anyone in Australia but she couldn't think of anyone!
Researching Muckles from Chatton, Ords from Bamburgh early 1800's, Fyalls originally from St Monans in Scotland, Troughtons - Cumberland to Tynemouth, Rollestones from Leicester & Old, Quarmans from Somerset

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 October 04 13:13 BST (UK) »
:)p.s Alfred and Florence are on the 1901 census in Wales under the name Ouasman. I knew that Ada was born in 1898 in Ponty so looked for a 3 year old Ada & found them.

Alfred 28 b. Bitten, Coal miner
Florence 25, b. Bristol
Alfred 8, b. Monmouth
Bertie 6, b. Oldland common
Ada 3, b. Ynysybwl
Gwladys 1, b. Ynysybwl

Which one are you descended from? My mother-in-law is Joy, your father will be her first cousin. I did ask her if she knew of anyone in Australia but she couldn't think of anyone!

Hi Tracy,
Your mum-in -law Joy does know my father.
My grandmother was Gladys May Quarman , the last name on that census "Gwladys" ( they have spelt her name wrong on that census) .

I have just talked to my father on the phone, and he knows Joy ( and Glyn) . Also  my dad knows Florrie , Joy's sister .
It's just me that does not know Joy. I have never heard of Joy , until I saw your post . I asked my dad if he knew  his Aunt Ada's daughter Joy,  and he said "Of course I know Joy from Caerphilly,  she is my cousin".

Small world !! :)

I've never met Joy myself . I am "Terry's" and Sandra's  daughter ( I'm the only one  living in Australia - my dad  and family are there in Wales)

I too have only got back as far as Samuel Quarman  occupation Butcher  (  going from the marriage cert of Elizabeth and George). In the 1881 census Alfred is under "Oldland" ( his mother's maiden name) and living with his mother  Elizabeth and other siblings . Elizabeth and George Quarman  did not marry until 1884, 11 years after Alfred was born, he was born in 1873) , I've also  got Florence's birth cert  ( and Alfred's too  ) , Florence's mother was Susannah Pattison  and Joseph Batten

It sure is a small world!
 Anyway,  Hi , and nice to meet you !!   You'd  be my "third /second cousin sister in law"  , or something like that ;D  

Anyway, Joy is my father's first cousin.  You  are researching  exactly the same line   as I am  :)  My grandmother Gladys Quarman  was Joy's Aunt, and Ada's sister.

Perhaps we can compare notes. I'm  currently trying to get hold of the parish records to go back further, and try and find  more info about Samuel Quarman, and who is wife was . I've emailed St Mary's church ( where Elizabeth and George wed) and have had a lovely  reply back. I've got to chase it up though.
They gave me the sexton's address  to try  ( besides the Bristol archives) ,  and a lady who still lives in the area who is a Quarman.

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline TracyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 October 04 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I spoke to Joy and she knows your father but hadn't known that he had a daughter in Australia. It looks from your postings that we have both got much of the same information, I too have Alfred's birth certificate and George & Elizabeth's marriage certificate. I have found Elizabeth on the 1891 census but she's listed as being 50 & the age doesn't match to the 1881 census. I expect that it is her as the children with her are correct. I have also found a set of Quarmans (on the LDS site) with children being born 1815-1828 where there is a Samuel (b. 1822) which would be about the right age for George's father.

I don't know how this forum works, I only joined as I saw your posting, are we allowed to leave e-mail addresses to swap more notes?

I live near Caerphilly now and one of these days intend to go over to Bitton and Oldland to have a wander around the graveyards to see if there are any memorial stones.

Bye for now!

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 October 04 13:25 BST (UK) »
I don't know how this forum works, I only joined as I saw your posting, are we allowed to leave e-mail addresses to swap more notes?

Hi Tracy W,

Its not wise to put your email address on the forum,if you want to send your details to 'Cell' it's best to do it by Personal Message (PM).

If you click on Cells name on the left of the posting a new window will appear,if you scroll down to the bottom you will find the option to 'Send this member a personal message' if you click on that,its quite straightforward. :)

I think its great that you have made a connection with another Rootschatter so soon after joining ;D

Good luck with your search,Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline jmj9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 June 22 16:01 BST (UK) »
I have come across the surname Quarman in various articles/posts on a Facebook group I run called Hanham, Longwell Green, Oldland Memories, including in connection with a business that made household cleaning/disinfectant products called Eezall in Willsbridge.  Some of these have come from archives and newspapers etc.