Author Topic: Llandyssil help needed  (Read 7637 times)

Offline Allie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Llandyssil help needed
« on: Friday 10 February 06 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone here who has local knowledge of Llandyssil.

I have recently discovered that my GGGrandmother died in Llandyssil at Hasthorn House in 1917. She was 92.
I have no idea why she would have been in Llandyssil as all her family were still living in North Shropshire.
Is this house still there and could it have been some sort of nursing home?

Any help would be very welcome

Allie x
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Shropshire research interests: Betton, Boliver, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Griffiths, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Rogers, Weston, Wilson

Offline GWENDOLINE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Llandyssil help needed
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 06 13:23 GMT (UK) »
What was your grandmother's surname.  I have the Llandyssil Parish Church Memorial Inscriptions for that period and this might give some more information that is if she was buried at Llandyssil.
Ralph, Montgomeryshire
Brumwell    Montgomeryshire 
Jandrell    Montgomeryshire
George    Radnorshire
Chesterfield   Cornwall, London
Keyte    City of London
Hayward  Fairford, Gloucestershire
Evison    Ruabon, Denbighshire
Woodhall   Corwen, Flintshire
Jones    Leigh, Worcestershire
Butler    Staffordshire  Worcestershire
Spencer   Worcestershire
Jeynes  Worcestershire
Onslow  Worcestershire

Offline Allie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 06 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gwendoline,

Many thanks for doing this. I am not sure if you will find anything though as she was not buried in Llandyssil.

Her name was Sarah Howell and the family must have brought her back to Welshampton, Shropshire to be buried as I found this information in the parish records there.

I do wonder if there was a family member living in Llandyssil that I don't know about.

Anything that you may find would be great though

Allie x
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Shropshire research interests: Betton, Boliver, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Griffiths, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Rogers, Weston, Wilson

Offline GWENDOLINE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, there were no other Howells in Llandyssil Parish Church Memorial Inscriptions booklet.
Ralph, Montgomeryshire
Brumwell    Montgomeryshire 
Jandrell    Montgomeryshire
George    Radnorshire
Chesterfield   Cornwall, London
Keyte    City of London
Hayward  Fairford, Gloucestershire
Evison    Ruabon, Denbighshire
Woodhall   Corwen, Flintshire
Jones    Leigh, Worcestershire
Butler    Staffordshire  Worcestershire
Spencer   Worcestershire
Jeynes  Worcestershire
Onslow  Worcestershire

Offline Allie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking anyway Gwendoline.

I really appreciate it.

Kindest regards
Allie

Offline maureen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 March 06 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Probably no connection but my great great grandmother was Sarah Howells, she came from Shropshire married Evan Watkin and lived at Llandyssil when first married in 1822 at Green Lane moving to Goetre Mill Kerry.  I can trace the Watkin family but no other Howells.

Maureen

Offline Allie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 May 06 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Maureen :)

Apologies for the late reply, but I have only just seen this!

Where was your Sarah Howells from in Shropshire?

Allie

Offline maureen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 May 06 17:57 BST (UK) »
She says on the census she was born in Mindtown but we can find very little to go on there

Offline julrhon

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 August 09 16:39 BST (UK) »
What was your grandmother's surname.  I have the Llandyssil Parish Church Memorial Inscriptions for that period and this might give some more information that is if she was buried at Llandyssil.

Are there any Smiths in your Memorial Inscriptions, Gwendoline?

I'm having a devil of a job trying to track down a RICHARD SMITH who, in the 1911 Wales Census - aged 30, and living with his wife Elizabeth (Perry, I think) in Ystrad, Glamorgan, states that he was born in Abermule. LDS makes reference to a Richard Smith born at Jews Common, Llandyssil, who in all other respects seems to fit.

A John and Elizabeth Smith appear in the 1881 Census living at Jews Comon with three children: David (12) Ann (8 ) and Margaret (4). John (50, a railway repair man) says he was born in Newtown and Elizabeth (40) in Llandyssil. All this looked straightforward until I tried to trace the family back to earlier Census entries... and their ages simply go awry! I have a hunch that Elizabeth may be Elizabeth Beedles, but that would make her 50 when Richard is born! Or perhaps John married two Elizabeths (the second after the 1871 Census).

Unfortunately I can find no likely marriage for a John Smith to any Elizabeth in Montgomeryshire for the dates!

It's probable that Elizabeth died before the 1891 Census, so perhaps she was buried in Llandyssil.  I'd be immensely grateful if you could check for me!

Thank you very much,

Julrhon