Author Topic: Huguenots: Camroux  (Read 7018 times)

Offline Heidi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Huguenots: Camroux
« on: Saturday 25 September 04 18:17 BST (UK) »
My gg grandmother's maiden name was Camroux - a descendent of Huguenots. I have traced the Camroux side of the family back to Jean Simon Camroux who married Susanne Desveaux around 1745. I  suspect that they were originally from Dépt. Garde in the Cévennes region of the south of France around Montpellier. I belong to an ancestral society there and one of the founders is also a descendent of Camroux. So far so good, but I was wondering do any records exist anywhere of the immigration to England of the Camroux-Desveaux line. Would I be able to find something in the Hugunot Society. As I live in Europe I am a bit far away to go along and have a look - everything has to be done at long distance
Relf - Kent & East Sussex, Lay - Deptford, Baldock - Ticehurst, Camroux - Huguenot/Shoreditch, Parker - Norfolk, Pankhurst - Ticehurst/Etchingham/Burwash, Desveaux - Huguenot/Shoreditch, Sloper, Quinton - East London, Taylor - Bethnal Green, London, Gurr - Cranbrook, Balkshall - Ardingley, Sussex,

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Camroux - Huguenots
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 September 04 20:59 BST (UK) »
Why don't you contact them directly to see what information they have available?

http://www.huguenotsociety.org.uk/

http://www.huguenotsociety.org.uk/contact/

Offline Heidi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 September 04 21:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the web sites Jen. I did actually contact them some time ago about becoming a member. I wanted to clarify a few things first (about payment) but I never got a response.

However I didn't have the web addresses you have supplied in your mail, so I will try them out and see what happens.

Thanks again

Relf - Kent & East Sussex, Lay - Deptford, Baldock - Ticehurst, Camroux - Huguenot/Shoreditch, Parker - Norfolk, Pankhurst - Ticehurst/Etchingham/Burwash, Desveaux - Huguenot/Shoreditch, Sloper, Quinton - East London, Taylor - Bethnal Green, London, Gurr - Cranbrook, Balkshall - Ardingley, Sussex,

Offline Welsh Jen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 September 04 21:57 BST (UK) »
Oh, sorry you never got a response   :-[ . I noted within the Membership application form (PDF Document) the prices within. Perhaps that may be of help with regards to the few things you need to clarify.

There does not seem to be an email address for them which I found odd. If you have already written to them without a response I am not sure what else to suggest  ???

Hope you facilitate some contact soon
Take care & all the very best in your research.

Offline Heidi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 September 04 06:48 BST (UK) »
Actually I did get an answer. The only E-mail address I found was for the library so I asked there. I got an answer that my request would be carried on further, that was where the reply never came back.

I know what you mean about the prices. I thought it over myself, but decided "nothing ventured, nothing gained". The problem is also that my cheques are not always accepted as they are issued on a Swiss bank. In any case I think I will write a letter to them (by snail mail) and keep you posted. Might be useful for others to know if their research goes in that direction.

Offline Heidi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 October 04 13:25 BST (UK) »
Wonders happen. I got a reply from the Huguenot Society with apologies for the delay due to holidays. They gave me some good info, so I may be joining. They seem to have a good arrangement for accepting payment from abroad. I have found out so much about my Camroux, that this is probably the last resort to discover when they arrive and from where

Offline Margaret SC

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 October 04 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Heidi,

I am a Camroux (by marriage) living in England and am very new to this internet chatroom stuff.  I have some Camroux family tree papers researched by Aubrey Vincent Camroux (now deceased) which as he was a member of the Huguenot Society I presume he filed with them.  I would be interested in sharing any information but am not sure about the protocols.

Offline Welsh Jen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 November 04 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Wonders happen. I got a reply from the Huguenot Society with apologies for the delay due to holidays. They gave me some good info, so I may be joining. They seem to have a good arrangement for accepting payment from abroad. I have found out so much about my Camroux, that this is probably the last resort to discover when they arrive and from where

Sorry Heidi I didn't reply to your 2 posts, My notifications were not enabled, so I didn't see the posts (my fault!)

Great news that they contacted you again, Let me know how you get on, I am thinking about the H.Society aswell as it may assist me with my one name study.

Offline Heidi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 November 04 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Welsh Jen - I havn't made any registration yet but will do. It seems their year runs from January to December, so I have some time to get round to it. My ancestors have been waiting the last 1-200 years so no rush. I will keep you posted in any case.

For Margaret SC - That is very interesting and would like to know some more about your Camroux branch - have sent a message