Author Topic: is KirkMichael Perthshire old cemetery near where you live?  (Read 3255 times)

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
is KirkMichael Perthshire old cemetery near where you live?
« on: Saturday 11 February 06 01:33 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find some information out about my 2nd great-grandmothers family and thought if I could find records of the old Kirkmichael cemetery on line I might find that someone in the family was lucky enough to be able to afford a gravestone. But I seem to have only been able to find shelf reference numbers to where the reference can be found in libraries or at the Blairgowrie Council. Does anyone live near this place that might be able to pop in and look while passing. I would love to be able to do this myself but 14000 miles is a long way.

Cheers Heather

Offline annev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: is KirkMichael Perthshire old cemetery near where you live?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Kirkmichael is about an hour away from where I live and we drive past there a few times a year.  If you like I can go and have a look - but probably in a month or so.  I can also visit the library which is very close to me if you give me the info.
Hope to be of help
Anne ::)
Anne - researching
Barron Cran Laing Arthur Rennie McLetchie, Cruikshank Duke

Offline Alan Stewart

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 March 06 20:38 GMT (UK) »
You can view the 1851, 1891 and 1901 censuses for Kirkmichael free of charge at the North Perthshire Family History Group's website www.npfhg.org. Unfortunately, they haven't got the Kirkmichael burials online, although they do have the burials for the neighbouring parish of Logierait. They've also published the Moulin MIs as a booklet.

Apart from the official Scotland's People site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, which has the deaths from 1855, there's now the McKirdy Index www.mckirdyindex.co.nz, a subscription site that indexes all the names on the death certificates, not just the deceased person's. For Perthshire, they've only done the years 1855-56 so far.

Alan

Offline dunkeld99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 August 06 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,    I went to Kirkmichael Church/sunday school many moons ago!
The church yard /headstones were very worn then and we were told at Kirkm/primary school it was a v old burial place with one corner devoid of headstones as this was where those who perished in the 'black plague' were interred. The ministers daughter, i think her name was Sheila Tosh, made up a booklet of the headstones and the inscriptions but I would doubt if it still exists: if it does,  it would probably have gone into a library somewhere.

dunkeld99

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 August 06 07:59 BST (UK) »
thank you I have a cousin visiting the area I will send tht information on to her she might be able to find out something about the booklet sometimes a local library or a genealogy group has a copy.

Cheers

Offline dunkeld99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 August 06 08:57 BST (UK) »
If someone is making the trip I would advise that they visit the "new cemetery" as well. It is about /4 mile away. If they ask someone in the village, I am sure they will get directions. Kirkmichael is not that big a place.