Author Topic: Symes and (maybe ) Frost  (Read 1696 times)

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Symes and (maybe ) Frost
« on: Saturday 11 February 06 06:20 GMT (UK) »
I have a William Frost Symes (b. abt 1827, Cullompton) m Anna Westacott (b. abt 1821 Nympton).     Williams father was John Symes was born abt 1794 and he shows as 77 (widower) on the 1871 census and living with William.   

I suspect John's wife may have been a Frost as it is possible that William's second name came from there but hard to tell.   

Can somewone help me with a couple of things.     
1. John wasn't living with William before 1871 so, if possible, can someone please lookup the census' for 1841, 1851 & 1861 for John.   He was an innkeeper and would probably still have been in Devon.   I know that he may be quite hard to find on 51 & 61 but if 41 is possible then William should have still been with him and there may be other children or indicators that show up in the following 2 census.

2.  If I can get, at the very least, John's wife's christian name then can someone telll me how I can find out who she was, i.e. whether her surname was Frost or something else?

I hope this all makes sense.

I understand that this may be difficult and people have their own stuff to do but any help would be appreciated.

thanks
lyraea

Goulding,  Summerhayes,  Needham,  Pitcher,  Symes,  Mulholland,  Harman,  Gear,  Lane,   Millbourne,  MacInnes,  Frost,  Hancock,  Westacott, Rice,  Peisley

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
Re: Symes and (maybe ) Frost
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 06 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Could this be him
1851-St Mary Magdalen-Taunton
HO107/1922/545
High St

SYMES

John 57 head b Collumpton                 Ostler
Mary 54 wife b        "
Henry S 17 son b Taunton                   Apprentice
Mary Jane 14 dau b   "
Emma Ann 11 dau b   "

Joe
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sisterjane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 06 12:06 GMT (UK) »
1861 St Mary Magdalen
RG9/1616/21
Upper High St

SYMES
John 67 head b   Collumpton            Licensed Victualler
Mary 64 wife b         "
Henry 26 son b    Taunton                 Wood carver
Emma 21 dau b      "                           Barmaid
+
4 boarders one of whom is
Thomas Frost 26 b Creech, Somerset

Joe
Masters in London/Surrey

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 06 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joe

The name, age and occupation are right and the boarder is interesting.     It definitely looks like them.

Are you able to look at the 1841 census.   There seem to be issues with doing this as some people don't seem to be able to while other can.  If it's an issue for you then that's fine as I really appreciate your help so far.

thanks
lyraea
Goulding,  Summerhayes,  Needham,  Pitcher,  Symes,  Mulholland,  Harman,  Gear,  Lane,   Millbourne,  MacInnes,  Frost,  Hancock,  Westacott, Rice,  Peisley

Offline Sisterjane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 06 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyraea
Im sorry I dont have access to the 1841, if no one picks up on it here after a day or so you could try posting for a specific 1841 look up

Joe
Masters in London/Surrey

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 February 06 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Joe - appreciate your help.

Offline FishMan

• RootsChat Member
  • Holiday Smiles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 July 06 07:30 BST (UK) »
Lyraea,

I did a lookup on the 1841 census for Collumpton and noticed a Joan (mis-transposed as John) SYMES aged 75 (the usual rounding down for the 1841 census does not seem to have been applied on this page) living next door to an Ann FROST aged 68 in Blampins? (hard to read) Court [HO107/225/5]. Also on the same page is a William FROST aged 15. I could not find your John SYMES and family, perhaps like my SYMES the census recorder spelled their name incorrectly SIMES or SIMMS which makes them harder to find.

I hope this helps  :) .... seems a BIG coincidence (but maybe the names are more common than I think).

A tip regarding lookups - the FreeBMD website is free and gives you births, deaths and marriage index details after Sept 1837. You can then order certificates to get the exact details using the GRO website. Membership of Ancestry.co.uk for 6 months costs 25 pounds and enables you to access all census 1841-1901 and the majority of the BMD records also. Worthwhile if you have a lot of English/Welsh families to trace. You can also get the 1841 Scotland census there (recently added).

FishMan
FISHER (Cheshire, Lancashire, Essex, Australia)
BURNS (Lancashire)
SYMES & SCOTT (Devon, Lancashire)
MCCALLUM (Midlothian, Malta, Kent & Dublin)
GARDINER (Midlothian, Ireland, Malta)
KRUSE (Denmark, Australia)
MCINNES (Argyll, Cheshire, London, Australia)
MCINTOSH (Avoch, Nairn, Australia)
COULL (Banffshire)

LEWIS (Herefordshire, Australia)
COLES (Oxfordshire, Australia)
STUFFINS (Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire)
JASPER & JUKES (Worcestershire)
NAPIER (Ireland, Australia)

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 July 06 06:25 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Thanks for you info.   I will have another look at that as it seems like I have missed something.   

Yes I have looked on FreeBMD and have full access to Ancestry and ScotlandsPeople etc.   The problem, as far as I can see, is that there is a lot of Devon information that hasn't been transcribed yet.   

It seems that my William and his brother John both had the midde name of Frost although I need to confirm that somehow.  This does indicatie to me that the families intermarried within a couple of generations at least before they were born and they were named after a 'parent' on the mother side. 

Anyway I will check the records again.

thanks
lyraea

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 July 06 06:28 BST (UK) »
BTW - I meant to ask if you think we may tie in some where with the Symes in Devon.    It would be great as I am totally stuck.     If I have already asked you this at any time you have to forgive me as you get so many posts and email ect that some things tend to slip by.

Having said that I also have McInnes' in my direct line.   There were some brothers that came to NZ in 1853 (my gggrandfather) and one of them stopped off in AU.

Interesting

rgds
lyraea