Author Topic: henry[harry] godwin emigration to canada  (Read 7100 times)

Offline eachelhurst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: henry[harry] godwin emigration to canada
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 January 08 20:26 GMT (UK) »
eillo and J.J.  Thanks for your help . Lydia Godwin who died in Winnipegg 1935 looks like our Lydia. Henry[Harry] wasa policeman on the Railways. He moved to Vancouver B.C. at the death of lydia. He died in 1945. Still trying to find daughters Edith and Lily`s married names to help me to bring my search to present day. Any more ideas welcome. Thanks again to you both. eachelhurst.
Godwin.  Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Birmingham, England, Winnepeg, Vancouver, canada.
Shakesheff. Worcestershire, Herefordshire.
Jenkins.  Aston, Birmingham.
Arnold. Tutbury, Staffs,  Birmingham
Spittle.  Wednesbury. Birmingham.
Fogell. Yorkshire,  Birmingham.
Holbutt. Aston,  Birmingham.
Richardson. Warwickshire, Aston, Birmingham.
Haskey . Warwickshire, Aston,  Birmingham.
Neal[e]. Warwickshire, Aston, Birmingham.

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 January 08 01:23 GMT (UK) »
There is a death registration in the BC Vital Events Index for Henry Francis Godwin, died in Vancouver on 27 Feb 1945.  Would you like me to look up the death registration for you?  They contain loads of information including how long the person has been in Canada, in the Province, in the City and their occupation, how long they worked at that job, etc etc.  It also lists an informant so if he joined family out here it might give you a clue as to the daughters' married names.

Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline eachelhurst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 January 08 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Lynwen,
             That would be great if you could look up death registration  details of henry Francis godwin vancouver 1945. Thanks Eachelhurst.
Godwin.  Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Birmingham, England, Winnepeg, Vancouver, canada.
Shakesheff. Worcestershire, Herefordshire.
Jenkins.  Aston, Birmingham.
Arnold. Tutbury, Staffs,  Birmingham
Spittle.  Wednesbury. Birmingham.
Fogell. Yorkshire,  Birmingham.
Holbutt. Aston,  Birmingham.
Richardson. Warwickshire, Aston, Birmingham.
Haskey . Warwickshire, Aston,  Birmingham.
Neal[e]. Warwickshire, Aston, Birmingham.

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 January 08 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Eachelhurst - I found Harry's death registration and luckily his daughter Lily was the informant.  I'll PM you with all the details on the registrations but in case other researchers can carry on the search, I'll list here that she was married to Reginald Frederick Maddex.  Lily died in Victoria, BC on 21 May 1985.  She was 80yrs old and husband Reginald was still alive at the time and acted as the informant.  I couldn't find any other related Godwin/Maddex entries in the index.  One long shot and well, the only shot is Alice Edith L Godwin, married Gerald Brabant in 1932 in Vancouver.  Not sure if this is a possibility for Edith - sadly, I couldn't check as someone else had the film out.  If you think it might be her, let me know and I'll go back and check it another day.

Another tip for other researchers, Harry was a retired policeman with the Canadian National Railway.  It looks like he retired in 1944 and moved out to BC but died only one year later.  He lived on Davie Street in the West End of Vancouver and if you google English Bay Park Vancouver, you will see some photos of the fantastic view he would have enjoyed!

Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 April 09 04:34 BST (UK) »
I just found a disc when I cleaned out my bag I carry when I do my searches...  ::) Not that the thread owner cares, as they've not been back...but...for anyone else searching...

It has the death notice for the accidental death of "Mrs Henry F. Godwin" in 1935...arghh...Women weren't allowed forenames in publications, it seems... :-\
 and also "In loving memory" of both parents in 1949 with all 3 children named forenames only...

anyone else searching who finds this & may be interested ...I'll gladly p.m. them the info...  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline ncolenbaugh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:25 BST (UK) »
Can any one advise? Trying to trace family of Henry [Harry] Godwin wife Lydia daughters Edith and Lily and stepson Colin Taylor Godwin.Emigrated 1912 to Winnipeg.Henry thought ? to have joined Police . Last known address in 1928 was 599 Fleet Avenue or Street. All advise welcome.

Thanks Eachelhurst.

Offline ncolenbaugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
Can any one advise? Trying to trace family of Henry [Harry] Godwin wife Lydia daughters Edith and Lily and stepson Colin Taylor Godwin.Emigrated 1912 to Winnipeg.Henry thought ? to have joined Police . Last known address in 1928 was 599 Fleet Avenue or Street. All advise welcome.

Thanks Eachelhurst.

I am new at this website. I hope I follow correct protocol. I am the daughter of Edith. Bertha and Colin were my grandparents. Edith married Joseph Colenbaugh in California. Lillian married Jack Hawkins. My history I've acquired from my mother ends at yours. Henry, policeman of railway and Lydia. I also have Bertha's parents names. If you would like more history of our California family- Hubert, Grace, David, I would be glad to help. I would appreciate any further history you could give me as well.
Thanks,
ncolenbaugh

Offline ncolenbaugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:55 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify Colin had children Hubert, Grace, Edith, Lillian and David. Henry's daughter, Edith, married Norman. That is all I have although I remember my mother telling me that some relatives returned to England and remained there. They were cousins of my mother I believe.
I hope this thread is still current or will revive.
ncolenbaugh

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 July 15 22:48 BST (UK) »
ncolenbaugh, welcome to Rootschat!  eachelhurst has not been on here since 1910...I did private message to notify just in case...but don't hold your breath, as I tried to in the past as well.

1921 has them at Winnipeg South  573 Corydon Ave
Francis H Godwin age 69 ( Looks more like 39 on image)   Occupation:Policeman for the Railway
Lydia Godwin age 40
Lilly Godwin age 16
Edith Godwin  age 14
Francis Whooters age 73 Father in Law ( Looks more like Whorton/Whooton on image)
also in household a Maggie & Charles Lightfoot
http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=CanCen1921&indiv=try&h=7814275

So he called himself Francis thus my not being able to find him in the directories...

In 1916 He used Henry F.  occ. Gas works Fireman for the waterworks...   living 171 Rupert ( Colin still with the family here)
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/006003/t-21939/jpg/31228_4363968-01258.jpg
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com