Author Topic: Alexandra/Trumper Canada 1900's  (Read 4712 times)

Offline halex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alexandra/Trumper Canada 1900's
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 18:48 GMT (UK) »
I think perhaps I need to be less strict about avenues I follow up as you are right that names change and family history as well as census enumerators can get it wrong! I was interested to see that the Toumper on the 1911 census site has now changed to Trumper so perhaps somebody out there knows something!
If the US becomes an avenue to explore for the Alexandra brothers is the Census data there searchable by Name or District? I wanted to look into Canada first as that is where family verbal history placed the brothers and Elizabeth Trumper in the early 1900's.

Offline halex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 19:07 GMT (UK) »
How do I go about checking for birth certificates in Canada? Do I have to know which province Dorothy Alexandra was born in in 1914 or is date of birth sufficient?

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Each province looks after there own birth certificates. 

In Ontario births are public information up to 1908 (deaths 1932 and marriages 1923) right now, each year they add a new year.   Anything after that you have to apply for a birth certificate from the Province.  They are very strick, every since 9/11 you have to go through hoops to get one and be the next of kin or proof that you are entitled cause all other parties are deceased.

I ordered a marriage certificate for my grandparents from 1930 and they denied my request until I gave them authorization from any living children (ie my mother).

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline halex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 February 06 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank Karen, as I don't know the province she was born looks like thats a non starter though I could probably get the permission

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 February 06 19:43 GMT (UK) »
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

Finally got it to work, a george born 1876 MO on the 1880  KS U.S.
The name is spelled Alexandra....so it may be worth a file under maybes...
shoot...no Arthur once I finally got in there, though....still an elusive surname! :(

and I still say the bethnal Green ones need to go into maybe, just for the fact that they needed to put Arthur down as Arthur John...whereas no other middle names were mentioned for siblings....and looking at the siblings names they are mostly the names used as middle names for George...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 February 06 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Here's the link to order Ontario birth certificates on-line (new feature) in case you want to try.

http://www.serviceontario.ca/english/default.htm

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 February 06 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that would certainly be worth a try! Let us know how you make out?
wish we could have found something substantial for you...Trust me, it's nice
for all of us when we do! :D  j..J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline halex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 18 February 06 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both of you for all your help. I'm not going to let this rest, its like an addiction really isn't it and I won't be defeated!! It will help when the UK 1911 census becomes available but thats 6 years away yet.

Offline halex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 18 February 06 19:30 GMT (UK) »
I have found an A Alexandra -farmer- living in Jackville Calgary Alberta in Hendersons Alberta gazetteer and directory for 1911. Does anyone know if the details in the actual directory say any more than name and occupation if I could look into this more? (in case it is the Father of the Alexandra brothers)