Author Topic: Anti virus software  (Read 6939 times)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anti virus software
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 September 04 12:24 BST (UK) »
Bob, Thanx for the information, very useful to know.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Patches

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 September 04 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Newbie & Bob

Thanks for the info,  checked price of Norton again its £17 to renew subscription and £40ish to buy the whole thing.

I downloaded AVG which was really easy then my pc went a bit weird.  When I restarted it found a Trojan Horse which I 'healed' and I assume its now trotted off.  Whats a Trojan Horse do if you have one gallopping around your pc.

I'm impressed with AVG which actually found a virus (one that Norton didnt), not that I should be happy about it.  The virus had affected 6 files of which 3 were removed to the 'virus vault', the other 3 couldnt be moved.  I now get a 'system cannot find file message' file is 'p2esocks_1022.dll' which I assume is one that got removed to virus vault.  Pc seems to run ok without its 'socks' but is there anything I can do about the 3 infected files still in the system.  The virus it found was a something Wintrim virus.

If anyone can help I'd most appreciate it.

Patches
Kent - Jones, Wigley, Rigden, Philpott, Perry, Irwin, Booker, Durling, Saker, Venner, Nutting, Giles, McNalty, Burley, Crowhurst, Ford & Roots,
Sussex - Badcock,  Barden, Barham, Bridger, Carey, Courthope, Crampton, Ford, Wright, Dadswell, Okill, Elliott, Hepden, Jarrett, Foster, Marchant, Selmes and Warnett
Fife/Mayo - McNalty
Bucks - Folley & Spufford

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 September 04 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm not a techie, but I would first run a virus scan with your Norton anti virus, if that didn't fix it, then I would definitely send a tech help question to Symantec, (presumably you are still okay with your subscription for a few days?), if you are running XP you can alway use system restore to get you back, and then start again. I am always very careful using anitvirus programs, you can also try the Symantec site for a listing of the Wintrim.virus it will explain what it does and how it works, I'll just go and have a look for you...

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 September 04 13:02 BST (UK) »
Results for: wintrim

2 results found, sorted by relevance    hide summaries   1-2   

Symantec Security Response - Download.Magicon
Download.Magicon is a Trojan Horse that downloads files from a predetermined Web site.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/ download.magicon.html - 26.6KB - United States  46%
Find Similar

~~~~~~~~
Symantec Security Response - Dialer.IEDisco
BEHAVIOR: Dialer.IEDisco is a .dll file that can: Download executables from a designated Web site Stop personal firewall processes Dial radome numbers Install a ...
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/ dialer.iedisco.html - 14.6KB - United States

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 September 04 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Patches,
I searched Symantec for Wintrim and it came up with the two above,
for info .....
Trojan Horse
A program that neither replicates nor copies itself, but causes damage or compromises the security of the computer. Typically, an individual emails a Trojan Horse to you-it does not email itself-and it may arrive in the form of a joke program or software of some sort.
Not sure if any of this helps, perhaps some Techie person will know?

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 September 04 14:25 BST (UK) »
"Trojan" or "Trojan Horse" programs are alleged to be named after the manner in which the greeks of legend won the Battle of Troy.
They hid within a wooden horse and when the unsuspecting trojans took this within their city the enemy within fell upon their defences and this led to their destruction.

In the computer world there is very rarely a benign trojan ...... they are generally programs installed by deception on your system to bypass its defences possibly to use your system without your knowledge or to gain access to information upon your system. 

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 September 04 14:30 BST (UK) »
 ???  I have just been reading up on wintrim and its aliases
(more info is available at http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=37584)

don't be too hard on Norton for not discovering the trojan as this particular piece of programming attacks the various anti virus and firewall programs it finds installed on your system before doing anything else.

Offline Patches

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 September 04 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just run Norton as suggested by Symantec in safe mode etc and it found nothing so I guess AVG dealt with it and its gone.  I also ran Spybot Search and Destroy which found one thing which has now been destroyed, so I guess I can assume my pc is healthy again.

Thanks for all your help

Patches
Kent - Jones, Wigley, Rigden, Philpott, Perry, Irwin, Booker, Durling, Saker, Venner, Nutting, Giles, McNalty, Burley, Crowhurst, Ford & Roots,
Sussex - Badcock,  Barden, Barham, Bridger, Carey, Courthope, Crampton, Ford, Wright, Dadswell, Okill, Elliott, Hepden, Jarrett, Foster, Marchant, Selmes and Warnett
Fife/Mayo - McNalty
Bucks - Folley & Spufford

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 September 04 18:56 BST (UK) »
Another piece of software that you may find useful in your armoury is Adaware which is also available free of charge from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

This is a useful piece of software that helps to detect any spyware that may have sneaked aboard your system.