Author Topic: Need Downton Parish Lookup  (Read 2693 times)

Offline caliope

• RootsChat Member
  • Roots in UK, Ger, Nor, Swed, Cherokee, we're Muts.
    • View Profile
Need Downton Parish Lookup
« on: Sunday 12 February 06 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I am hoping to gain info on my great great great great grandfather Daniel Harris.  I hope to find his parents, and christening date.  He was born about 1813, Downton, Wiltshire.  He married Ann Mussell 21 May 1836.

Thanks in advance!!
ALDEN, BISHOP, BLISS, BOOKER, BOYCE, BUCHHOP, COLLINS, CROUCH, DANNENBERG, DAVIS, ELM, EATON, FLOYD, GRAMBLIN, GRAMBLING, GAMLING, HALSEY, HARRIS, HOGLE, HOSIER, JACKLIN, JACOBSON, JONES, LANGFORD, LLOYD, NEWSTEAD, PEIFER, PINDER, PIERCE, POTTER, RANDOLPH, SANDERSON, SCHWEINHAGEN, SEVERSON, SHEARING, SHEARSMITH, SPRINGSTROH, STEPHENSON, STEWARD, SUCH, TAYLOR, WALKLETT, WELLS, WIECHERS, WINCHESTER, WOODCOCK

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Need Downton Parish Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caliope....     In looking for the dates/names  that your looking for i have come across the dates of death for Daniel and Ann. Do you have them already?

regards cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 February 06 19:43 GMT (UK) »
If you can help, I would appreciate any CANDY baptisms in Downton from around 1835.

I have an Alfred Candy who, from 1851 until 1901 always claimed to have been born in Downton, but I don't know his parents' names.

There was a Charles Candy who married Sarah Miles in Downton in 1843; he could perhaps be related.

Many thanks

Philip Candy

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 February 06 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil....here they are all together in the 51.

HO107/1846 District 1d Alderbury The Bourough

Charles Candy 49  Servant  All born Downton
 Sarah Candy    39
 Alfred Candy 5 months
 but in the 1841 i cannot find any Candy's actually in Downton itself but they may be in The Bourough which i havent got.
 At the moment i have only found one other Candy in the whole of the area and that is....

Living in Hindon a William Candy  45 years old born in county.

best wishes cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 February 06 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Cheryle. That's what I found too. The Alfred Candy with Charles and Sarah is 14 years too young to be the one I'm looking for, but the rareness of the name makes me think they must be related.

There were Candys in Wiltshire from about 1550 onwards. One of those branches moved to Somerset in about 1600 (Frome and around there) and around 1820, one of those branches moved back to Wiltshire: John Candy married Elizabeth Dewdney of Mere, and had about six children, including Aaron and Charles.

I think that Alfred (born Downton about 1835) is somehow part of that family, but of course he could be related to the original Candy family from Wiltshire.

Thanks a lot for doing that look up for me.

Best wishes

Philip Candy

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 February 06 20:20 GMT (UK) »

Recently there was a thread about whether we had met cousins on the Rootschat Website. At that time I had no mapped relationship with any one though some are  probably connected, however, it would seem caliope, that you and I are both descended from Mussell siblings, you from Ann and I, from her sister Emma and through them back to George Mussell and Elizabeth Shergold. Are we 4th cousins twice removed? Emma is my great great grandmother.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 February 06 17:32 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi Caliope and Beth.......

Daniel Harris..8 March 1899  age 86
    Husband of Ann  Ref  51290  Redlynch Wilts

Ann Harris  ...20  Feb  1873  age 59
    Wife of Daniel  Ref 51296  Redlynch Wilts 

Considering  Daniel was born Downton and died Redlynch I have had real  big problems finding him for you in 1841. I will have another look through.

regards cheryle

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 February 06 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Caliope....i didnt have birth details so was looking for being in situ with mothers/fathers just as a long shot really. Could'nt see Daniel at all in 41 so went to 51 and looked at address(though minimal). Went back to 41 same area and found.....
   Redlinch  Church Tything  HO107/1172
   Ann Harris   30       born in county
   William Harris  2        ''          ''
   Alfred Harris    11 months     '
   Hannah Harris    65   nurse   not born in County
   William  Norman  34  cant make out occ    born in County
  Looks like Hannah could be Daniels mother? Wonder where Daniel was? ???
  Only you will know if this Ann is yours as i expect you have details of children that Daniel had. But it looks like it could be her....there are many other Harris families living all round Ann so if you would like them let me know. Sorry i couldnt give you the exact info that you needed...maybe someone else can help.

best wishes        cheryle

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Dear cheryl.f,

Thank you again for your help. One twig at a time is the way a tree grows.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall