Author Topic: High Street Berkhamsted c.1948  (Read 1913 times)

Offline whiting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
High Street Berkhamsted c.1948
« on: Sunday 12 February 06 21:27 GMT (UK) »
An emigrant from the U.K. c.1919 Frank Percy Whiting to Saskatchewan, Canada returned to the U.K. in 1948 on a visit and died at 6a High Street, Berkhamsted, Herts.    Presumably that address was the home of a relative.  Does anyone have an old Kelly's Directory [or a long memory!] who might know the name of the occupant about 1948?
yrs.,
Richard Whiting

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: High Street Berkhamsted c.1948
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

Im originally from that neck of the woods and i have to say as far as i can remember Berkhamsted was all up in the hundreds, Ive had a look and found 6A to actually be on Northchurch High St opposite a school, hope this helps a little sorry i cant give anything on the name your searching for.

Regards Chelle

Offline whiting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. I'll re-research the address to see if l can now find anything.

Offline Mccoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard
I'm sorry to pick fault, but Chelles' info is not quite right. At the other end of Berkhamsted is an area known as  Swing Gate which the main Berkhamsted High Street runs through. There is at present a veterinary surgery there and also The Bull Public House. The vets is No 2 High St. and the Bull Pub is No10. Between them is an old row of small  terraced cottages which obviously must be numbers 4,6 and 8. I don't know if there is a 6A but I believe this is where you may find what you are looking for.

Ron

Offline whiting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Ron.  All advice gratefully received.  Unlike tracing backwards in time [which is fairly easy] l am attempting to trace members of a collateral branch forwards in time - which is almost impossible.  Rather like asking a Bloodhound to track a Swift.
yrs.,
Richard W.