Author Topic: EDLINS in Leics.  (Read 56758 times)

Offline midmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
EDLINS in Leics.
« on: Sunday 12 February 06 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for Edlins in Leicestershire, mainly the Vale of Belvoir area. I have traced back my family definitely to William Edlin, born Croxton Kerrial 1777. There are links to Manchester Edlins also and appears to be a connection to Methodism as some were Local Preachers. Anyone able to help or wish to share information? Look forward to hearing from you.

Leics: Edlin, Isam, Wright, Wesson
Notts: Smith, Hughes.
Lancs: Dobbin, Rowlinson, Marr, Povall, Hall, Halliwell
Berks/ Sussex: Dearlove, Carter, Marchant.
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suspiceone

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edlins in Leics.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 06 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for Edlins in Leicestershire, mainly the Vale of Belvoir area. I have traced back my family definitely to William Edlin, born Croxton Kerrial 1777. There are links to Manchester Edlins also and appears to be a connection to Methodism as some were Local Preachers. Anyone able to help or wish to share information? Look forward to hearing from you.

Edlin / Edlyn / Edelin  from NZ , Leic. ,Yorks. , France.

Offline suspiceone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 February 06 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Midmum,
 I also have an interest in the Eaton, Leic.  Edlins. I believe that a few from
GenesReunited are joining this group, to be headed up by "behind the frogs"

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 06 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Midmum

I find your introduction very interesting.  I recognise your Manchester branch as possibly being directly linked to the three brothers who went to New Zealand, but who were the Methodist preachers?

There are methodists including preachers amongst tha descendents of Edward Edlin born 1809 at Croxton Kerial son of Robert.  Have you managed to link this branch of the family back to William 1777?  It would be a major step to have the man who invented the pneumatic tyre with Dunlop in one big Leicestershire family.

The other big question of course is if William Ebenezer (1799) was the son of William (1777) who was the mother?  If there are two Williams, which one actually married Mary Ashbourne and Jane Bunney?

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suspiceone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 February 06 23:49 GMT (UK) »
would it be possible for all the Leic. researchers to forward their infomation to roots chat and see if a concerted effort can be made to penetrate thru the brick wall ??

Offline midmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Wow what a great response! I recognise "Behind the frogs" as you have kindly sent me info in the past, lots of it. I have passed onto you info and strays also. I think suspice you are in a warm place down under! Will be happy to join up any group with the aim of getting further back for the Edlins.

In response to the preacher question a Mr Thomas Bunney Edlin,( my gt gt grandfather) was a Classleader, Trustee and Local Preacher in the Methodist cause.His son James W. Edlin, by his first marriage, was also a local preacher who went out to India as an Evangelist and Colporteur.

At Stathern there is mention of a William Edlin in 1833 as a Trustee of the methodist church.

Look forward to sharing and moving forward.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I picked the wrong Manchester Family and missed Thomas being a methodist.  His brother Ebenezer of course went to Levenshulme and founded quite a Lancashire dynasty of medics and teachers.

I am not sure quiite what a "class leader" was not being a methodist.  Being a colporteur (pedlar of religeous books) in India send my imagination wild.  Do you have any interesting stories?

I see we have started another jigsaw game of identifying who is behind the rootschat name.

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline midmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
Will own up - I am Heather in Lancs, related to those medics and teachers through TB Edlin. TB Edlin also had his first children in Lancs before moving back to Leics. At present I am attempting to find the death in India of his son.
Have so far got a William James died in Berne and a William James died in Geneva! Are they anyones?
No interesting stories as yet but promise to pass any on that I do find. Not sure what a class leader was or is but I know a man who does and will pass that on. I wasn't aware that there were other religious connections. I wondered whether religion and preaching were the reasons why the Edlins moved about the country.
Heather

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Heather,

Welcome to rootschat

Try posting a specific request in the common room giving details of William James Edelin, his dates, where he was likely to have died and ask for ideas.  You will be surprised what the experts in this chatroom come up with given a chance.  I saw an Indian non- military deaths site somwhere but I can't recall it. 

I had twigged who you were but it took a few minutes

David