Author Topic: EDLINS in Leics.  (Read 56753 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Edlins in Leics.
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 26 February 06 21:47 GMT (UK) »
The William Edlin who married Ann Adcock in 1586 seems very likely to be the one who died in 1607 leaving a will which mentions wife Ann.

The other interesting one is the Robert Edlin and Mary Backler marriage 1793.  It is a bit early but could well be the ancestors of the bicycle makers including the William who worked with Dunlop on the first pneumatic tyre.  The only children I have are Edward 1809 and Thomas 1815.  As I said a bit early but a candidate.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 27 February 06 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm "behindthefrogs " contact who has EDLIN ancestors in Lincolnshire. They trace back from my 2x great grandmother, Elizabeth baptized 1834 East Allington through Great Gonerby and Honington.  Bartholomew was baptized Honington 1750 his parents are John & Jane EDLIN.  John was very probably baptized 1721 at Denton.  He married Jane KIRK 1747 at Little Ponton.  Recently I've discovered there is another candidate for 'my' John born at Coningsby 1725 that I need  to check out.

I then have a line at Denton back to a baptism in 1602.  I've been trying to piece together the EDLIN family who were still at Denton after 1747.  There is still some checking to be done but I have four generations the youngest of which are three brothers John, Robert and William.  John and William both went to live in Leicestershire, Robert stayed in Denton but his wife Ann came from Rearsby.  John lived at Saltby and William at Eaton.  There is also another William who would be the uncle of these three baptized 2 September 1777 at Denton son of Robert & Sarah.  At present I only have his baptism for certain but he may be the one you seek. 

At the top end of my little line of EDLINS I'm having trouble deciding which of the many men named Robert was the link into the main line - the baptisms at Denton don't show the names of wives and mothers and only one Robert left a will that is extant.

If you think it will help you I'll let you have the detail.

Offline midmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 27 February 06 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello there and welcome, it is lovely to "meet" you now that you have appeared from behind the frogs. I am descended from the William Edlin born @1777 but died in Croxton Kerrial 1849. He may be the one you mention in your post. Any new info is always welcome. Did you see my previous post where a John Borras of Gt Gonerby married an Edlin?

My mum has memories of being told there were Edlin relatives over the border but has no recollections of meeting them. I have a photo of two women thought to be Edlin cousins from the Grantham area. I am not an expert at interpreting dates from clothes but it may be around the 50s or 40s. I dont know if you live locally still or have family who may recognise them but if you wish I will get my hubby to scan it here.

Look forward to continuing contact with you,
Best wishes Heather
Leics: Edlin, Isam, Wright, Wesson
Notts: Smith, Hughes.
Lancs: Dobbin, Rowlinson, Marr, Povall, Hall, Halliwell
Berks/ Sussex: Dearlove, Carter, Marchant.
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 27 February 06 17:16 GMT (UK) »
From some census information received from MIDMUM this morning we have concluded that

William Ebenezer Edlin (of Eaton) was one of the three sons of Robert and Mary Edlin of Denton, baptised 11 Dec 1798 Denton Lincs, married Susannah Attiwell (born 1901 Foston Lincs) at Stonesby 9 Apr 1823.

This is the father of the New Zealand dynasty of three brothers and would seem to break any immediate link between him and the family of William born 1777 of Croxton Kerrial.

I will put more details on this thread when I have sorted it all out.

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 27 February 06 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Treat this as a stalking horse rather than fact but I think the family now looks like this.

Robert Edlin born c1770 married Mary Backler 1793 at Croxton Kerrial, where he was buried April 1850 age 80, living with son John in 1841 at Saltby 2 miles from Croxton Kerrial.  Children:

John Edlin born 1794 Denton a cordwainer married (1) Maria died Saltby Leic 1849 (2) Ann born Saltby 1790 died Saltby 1873.

Robert Edlin born 1796 Denton married Ann  (Is this Ann Platt?)

William Ebenezer Edlin born Dec 1798 Denton married Susannah Attiwell father of the three brothers who went to New Zealand

Edward Edlin born Croxton Kerrial 1809.  This is the ancestor of the bicycle maker.

Thomas Edlin born 1815 Croxton Kerrial

Please pull it to pieces,

David

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 27 February 06 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've just spent two or three hours looking through my Lincolnshire Marriage Indexes  for a marriage between Robert EDLIN and Mary  and couldn't find one.  But the marriage between Robert EDLIN and Mary BACKLER would fit perfectly. 

One small criticism - where does the name Ebenezer come from?  If he is the William baptised in Denton then he acquired the name afterward.  The entry in Denton register is just for William son of Robert and Mary EDLIN. 

Now I can add something Robert (the father) was baptised  at Denton 17 September 1769 the eldest of five children, William baptised 2 September 1777 was his brother.  Their parents were Robert EDLIN and Sarah HUTCHIN married at Denton 15 December 1768

midmum, thanks for the offer but I don't think I can help with the photograph my EDLIN ancestors are too distant.  Elizabeth, the one that married into my STORER family died in 1884.  I saw the marriage you posted between John BORRAS and Eleanor EDLING 1821.  It is possible that she is the youngest daughter of Bartholomew EDLIN, if so she was baptised at Great Gonerby in 1796. 

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 27 February 06 22:28 GMT (UK) »
The "Ebenezer" occurs in some of the New Zealand families which link back to him.  Looking at my various notes I can't find anything to substantiate it but I will look deeper.  I have a feeling it occurs with one of the baptisms on the IGI.

David

Offline midmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I had reached some similar conclusions David. I also wondered if if Robert Edlin and Mary Backlers son Thomas, (bapt 1815 )had married Jane Grey at Hose 9 Jane 1837. There is a Thomas and Jane Edlin at Croxton 1881 with grandson William who appear to tie up with regard to place of birth.

Also in 1871 is a William Adlin ? poss spelling error living in Redmile born Stoke Rochford, Lincs living with wife Elizabeth and daur Mary E. both born Croxton Kerrial. If we assume it is a spelling error then the Lincs connection becomes more evident.

I also realised that I hadn't "killed off " William and Jane Edlin died 1849 having just relied on their headstone info. Searched for their deaths and they are recorded in the Grantham district. Are they ours, who or why were they there? Ordered the certificates last night and will post as soon as I receive them. That would be another Lincs connection.

Ebenezer also runs in my Edlin line, my gran had a brother James Ebenezer but he was always known as Nezer! Will make a note to look into name origins etc.

My brain is starting to ache with all this new info and trying to fit it all together so will go and rest for a bit,
 Heather

Census info is Crown Copyright.

Leics: Edlin, Isam, Wright, Wesson
Notts: Smith, Hughes.
Lancs: Dobbin, Rowlinson, Marr, Povall, Hall, Halliwell
Berks/ Sussex: Dearlove, Carter, Marchant.
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Despite the brain ache which I have also been suffering from we have been reading each others minds as I decided earlier today that Thomas married Jane Gray.  I also decided that John Edlin's (1794) second wife was Ann Jackson as she is a widow living with her brother Richard Jackson just before she died in 1881.

I think that I will add the two further generations which MISSPRIM sent me yesterday to my summary document and then send it out to my dozen or so contacts.  I know she regards them as tentative but someone will shoot it down if it isn't right.

David