Author Topic: EDLINS in Leics.  (Read 56923 times)

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edlins in Leics.
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Despite my reservations about the name Ebenezer I think the William EDLIN  that I traced down to from his ancestors is the same person that you have traced back to from his descendants. He would appear to have acquired the name Ebenezer during his lifetime. 

I know from what has been posted on this thread that there are Methodists in the later EDLIN family. Did William convert to Methodism? If so could he have been given his additional Christian name at his acceptance into the Methodist fold?  I know that in the Church of England it is possible to acquire an additional Christian name at confirmation but I don't know enough about Methodism to know what their stance would be on this kind of thing. However given that the Wesley brothers were Church of England ministers I would guess that it would have been quite similar to the C. of E. position around the turn of the 18th/19th century. 

I look forward with interest to seeing the amalgamated summary family tree.  I think it is good that there is discussion particularly for the more problematic areas of a family line.  If this gets passed the scrutiny of our peers there are, I know, other areas further back in the Denton line of the EDLIN family that will require research, discussion and perhaps adjustment.

Offline midmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Things are hotting up and we all have lots to contemplate.

While looking at Edlins in Lincs, as it appears we are from over the border now, I found this:

EDLIN, John labourer of Barrowby / Gt Gonerby tried 16/07/1816 at Kesteven Quarter sessions. His crime was to steal a hog from a William Dorr and he was sentenced to 7 years transportation . He sailed on the "Morley" to New South Wales in 1818.

Wonder what the Methodist Edlins made of that?

Have been checking about the name Ebenezer. It is a Hebrew name and mentioned 3 times in the Bible as well as being made famous by Charles Dickens, Ebenezer Scrooge. It relates to a stone raised by the prophet Samuel in memory of the defeat of the Philistines, Samuel 7:11-12. Very often it is given a meaning of "stone of help" or a "foundation of stone". There is an Ebenezer society in Germany and numerous chapels so named worldwide. There is also a hymn, "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" which contains the lines "here I raise mine Ebenezer, hither by thy help...".
What is interesting and would tie in with what Missprim suggested is that it is often seen as a reminder of Gods love and means a fresh beginning. Perhaps William did take it on as part of a fresh beginning. Certainly Methodism was spreading through the district and he may have been "converted" and taken it on then ? Worth considering.

Best wishes Heather
Leics: Edlin, Isam, Wright, Wesson
Notts: Smith, Hughes.
Lancs: Dobbin, Rowlinson, Marr, Povall, Hall, Halliwell
Berks/ Sussex: Dearlove, Carter, Marchant.
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 02 March 06 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the note about John EDLIN transported in 1816.  I knew about him but got my details from a book which did not mention Great Gonerby so didn't make the probable link.  Bartholomew and Elizabeth had a son John baptised at Great Gonerby 14 Nov 1784 perhaps it was him!  :o   I have had a look at the web site Convicts database and noted the source references so that I can have a look at the documents next time I book at table in Lincoln Archive. 

In case anyone is interested the book I mentioned is Lincolnshire Convicts to Australia, Bermuda and Gibraltar by C.L. Anderson.  It was published in 1993 so may be out of print by now but perhaps a library could obtain a copy. 

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 03 March 06 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I today received an email from Annette in New Zealand.  She probably has the best set of records of the New Zealand family.  She has no proof of William having formally used the second name Ebenezer and so I guess it can be demoted to being at best a nickname.  I have checked my files and it does occur in two independent communications.

Moving on to John who was sent to Australia.  Is any more known about him? Did he have a family out there?

If he is the son of Bartholemew and Elizabeth Doubleday can we connect that family.  I know MISSPRIM has a line back from Bartholomew which is roughly as follows

Bartholomew Edlin bapt Sep 1750 Honington Lincs
John Edlin bapt Jan 1721 Honington married Jane Kirk
John Edlin bapt May1696 Denton married Anne Schofield
Robert Edlin bapt Jun 1646 Denton married Elizabeth Allett
Robert Edlin bapt May 1614 Denton married Anne Wilson
John Edlin married Margaret.

There must be a very close link with the Denton ancestery we have just established.  Any ideas?
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 03 March 06 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Slight correction to the EDLIN line given by 'behind the frogs' -  John EDLIN bap 1721 Denton, not Honington.  He was buried at Honington 1794.  The mistake is entirely mine I must have transposed his places of baptism and burial as I added them to the computer file.   :-[  Please accept my apologies for this mistake.

Convicts tend to leave quite a large paper trail. So hopefully we should be able to find out more about John EDLIN convicted of theft in 1816. I have booked a table to be able to look at manuscript documents on Tuesday so should know more about John EDLIN and his crime after that. However there are quite a lot of references so I may have to go back to complete the task another day.  Can someone in Australia try to find the ship's indent for John and/or his ticket of leave?  There may also be a record of his time in an Australian prison.  It is quite likely that one or more of these documents will give information about his close family actually naming them.  I have had a look at the NSW official web site but my search only came up with a Mary EDLIN.  It would appear that although John was convicted in 1816 he wasn't actually transported until 1818 so he must have been kept in prison in England during that time.  Again I might know more about this after my trip to Lincoln Archive. 

I will also try to find any newspaper reports of the trial I can.  Newspapers are in the library at Lincoln so it looks like I'm in for a busy week. 

Offline midmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 06 March 06 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello, haven't forgotten about all this work we still have to do but lots to do at home.
The name of the witness, Elizabeth Cobley, at William Edlins marriage to Susannah Attwell sent off bells for me as Ada Mary Edlins eldest son Thomas Wright married an Ellen Cobley of Uppingham Rutland. It would prove interesting if there is a link between the families generations on. I will e-mail a contact who may know and get back to you. The other witness at the marriage may be a Robert Edlin. Banns were read for this marriage at Croxton, would that be usual given that the marriage took place at Stonesby?

Missprim ,you may want to look at this before you go to the office, www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/convictsdetails This gives the document references you may need.

Also have a marriage for;
Elizabeth Edlin to John Chapman, East Allington, Lincs. 10 Jan 1806

Bye for now,
Heather
Leics: Edlin, Isam, Wright, Wesson
Notts: Smith, Hughes.
Lancs: Dobbin, Rowlinson, Marr, Povall, Hall, Halliwell
Berks/ Sussex: Dearlove, Carter, Marchant.
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 06 March 06 14:00 GMT (UK) »
If the parties to a marriage by banns come from different parishes then the banns have to be called in their home parish.  This can be very useful in finding the other parties parish when the register doesn't specify it.

In this particular case the register clearly states that William came from Croxton.

My own banns were called in St Matthews Bayswater  where I was living and the Channel Islands where my wife came from and we were married.

The second witness was Robert Edlin.  This is clear in the actual register entry of which Annette sent me a copy today.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 06 March 06 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Midmum,

John CHAPMAN and Elizabeth EDLIN are my 4x great grandparents so I have the details of their marriage.  It was by license 10 January 1806 at St James Church, East Allington.  John CHAPMAN was a bachelor of the parish of Bottesford, Leics. and Elizabeth EDLIN was of this parish; neither signed their names.  The witnesses were Stephen OLIVER and John ROBINSON.  The marriage bond gives the additional information that John was a Cordwainer.  His sponsor was John ROBINSON of East Allington, farmer.  I don’t know if he was a relative. 

I have only recently found the 1851 census for John & Elizabeth CHAPMAN.  They ended their lives at Denton and are buried there.  John was born at East Allington and Elizabeth at Great Gonerby.  I haven’t yet had time to begin researching John’s family.

Elizabeth was the daughter of Bartholomew EDLIN and his wife Elizabeth DOUBLEDAY – married at Great Gonerby 23 October 1774.  They had 9 children, Mary 1776 (also my 4x gt. grandmother), Samuel 1777, Elizabeth 1779 (wife of John CHAPMAN), Lucy 1782, John 1784, Sarah 1787, Ann 1790, Jane 1793 and Eleanor 1796. 

Mary EDLIN married Thomas PETCHELL at Great Gonerby 30 June 1800 – their daughter Lucy married John EDLIN son of John CHAPMAN & Elizabeth EDLIN at West Allington in 1834. 

John EDLIN was the twin brother of Lucy EDLIN; they were christened at East Allington 1 December 1805 the children of Elizabeth.  She named John CHAPMAN as their father and took him to court for maintenance.  There were two hearings but the magistrates never ruled on the case presumably because John and Elizabeth had married and by so doing John had assumed responsibility for the twins.

Further to the business of calling the Banns - I believe that not only do they have to be called at the parish of residence of each party, but if the marriage is to take place at the third church then the banns will be called there too.

Diana

Offline Suspice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 05:08 GMT (UK) »
in reply to:
John Edlin of Barrowby/Great Gonerby ,occupation: Labourer,
crime: stealing a pig, the property of William Dorr of Gonerby, Trial date: 16/7/1818,sentence: 7years and deportation to NSW.aboard the ss.Morley which left The Downs 18/7/1818. Arrived Sydney 7/11/1818. Trip took 112 days. Capt. Robert R Brown. On board 163 males