Author Topic: John Ellum - Order of Bastardy  (Read 3126 times)

Offline barnesyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Ellum - Order of Bastardy
« on: Monday 13 February 06 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me!   I recently discovered that one of my ancestors - Ann Helps, the illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth/Betty Helps, born 4th Aug 1795 in Trowbridge, Wiltshire, was the subject of a Bastardy Order served on John Ellum, labourer, apparently of Trowbridge.   There are no records of John Ellum in Wiltshire/Trowbridge, which led me to spread the net further afield.   There was a John Ellam baptised  on 5 Aug 1753 at Balsham, Cambs by Richard and Mary Ellam - the age would be about right.   Does anyone have an interest in this name, or does anyone have any advice on how to establish if this was the same John Ellam?

Hopefully, June
Ball(s) Barnes Bekker Bennett Buchanan Campher deKlerk deVilliers Dickenson Dunkley Edwards  Greenlees Helps Jones King Knoesen Marais McPherson Neat Nel Oosthuizen Peart Richter Scott Smit Smith Turner van-Rensburg Wallworth Webber Wells Worroll

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Ellum - Order of Bastardy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 June 06 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm not researching your name but wondered if you had looked for a resettlement or settlement certificate from/to Wiltshire/Cambridgeshire (Suffolk) for the suspect father.
If he was employed by an owner of a couple of estates - their records may show he was sent to work away from his birth village and those records may also be in
www.a2a.org.uk

Good luck
Rena

I wonder if anyone can help me!   I recently discovered that one of my ancestors - Ann Helps, the illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth/Betty Helps, born 4th Aug 1795 in Trowbridge, Wiltshire, was the subject of a Bastardy Order served on John Ellum, labourer, apparently of Trowbridge.   There are no records of John Ellum in Wiltshire/Trowbridge, which led me to spread the net further afield.   There was a John Ellam baptised  on 5 Aug 1753 at Balsham, Cambs by Richard and Mary Ellam - the age would be about right.   Does anyone have an interest in this name, or does anyone have any advice on how to establish if this was the same John Ellam?

Hopefully, June
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke