Author Topic: MacDonald/MacLeod Spean Bridge Area  (Read 1894 times)

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
MacDonald/MacLeod Spean Bridge Area
« on: Monday 13 February 06 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I recently went to a registrar's office in the Glasgow area to try and get a copy of my mother's birth certificate, gave them the following details -
Margaret MacDonald, born 21 May 1914 in the Spean Bridge area, parents Catherine MacLeod and Alexander MacDonald.   As there are many Margaret MacDonalds in the  timespan of their search, they could not find her in the records.   Don't get me wrong, the staff were brilliant - but (?)
Any ideas out there?

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: MacDonald/MacLeod Spean Bridge Area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 July 06 01:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I recently went to a registrar's office in the Glasgow area to try and get a copy of my mother's birth certificate, gave them the following details -
Margaret MacDonald, born 21 May 1914 in the Spean Bridge area, parents Catherine MacLeod and Alexander MacDonald.   As there are many Margaret MacDonalds in the  timespan of their search, they could not find her in the records.   Don't get me wrong, the staff were brilliant - but (?)
Any ideas out there?

Hiya Farmer,

You seem to have everything required .. name and precise date.  Was Spean Bridge area a bit vague for the staff in the registrar's office? Did they have any suggestions or ask for further details? Are there any newspapers covering that area? When were the papers in that area first published? A paper in a rural area might have more BMDs than a paper in a city.

All the Best, Chris 

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 July 06 04:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher
thanks for the reply.   Registrar's - I went back there with the house name in Spean Bridge, I was there for 3/4 of an hour, questions and answers, the staff practically stood on their heads trying to help.  Like me, they can't understand why there should be any  difficulty. 
Newspapers, that's a good idea - later in the year I'll take a trip up to Fort William.   I can also check the church there, where records for the Spean Bridge graveyard are held.   
Appreciated
Pete in Glasgow

Offline Boreades

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 March 24 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Just had an idea, Spean Bridge is in the parish of Kilmonivaig, in Lochaber. Might the records have the parish name (Kilmonivaig) instead of Spean Bridge?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 March 24 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Old post here, but with the additional search criteria of mother's maiden name being included on Scotlands People, this looks to be the birth reg.:

MARGARET MCDONALD
Mother's maiden name MCLEOD
Rf 099 / 2 / 11
Lochaber

I am sure you have found it by now Farmer  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk