Author Topic: William Wilson's Parents  (Read 2317 times)

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Wilson's Parents
« on: Tuesday 14 February 06 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please point me in the right direction as to where I can find some info about one of my ancestors.

My gt-grandfather, William Wilson was born in Glasgow abt 1868.  He moved to London I think sometime in the late 1880s, and in the early 1890s met my gt-grandmother, Mary Ann Guerin.  They had 5 children together, the last of which, Martha (my grandmother) was born in 1899 in Camberwell.

Here's the fun bit ...

My grandmother (Martha) was fostered out when she was young, so it has been challenging finding her birth, but I did and have the birth certificate.  Her parents are listed as William Wilson and Mary Ann Wilson (formerly Guerin).  Ok so far.  I found the family on the 1901 census in Camberwell and everything matches.  I go back to 1891 and can't find them.

After much searching, and some help from the kind folks on here, we managed to determine that Mary Ann Guerin did in fact marry Oswald Currie in 1889.  She is listed in 1891 living with her mother, still using the surname Currie.  Oswald is then living with his "new" wife and 4 children!!  I have searched the BMD from 1891 to 1901 for both the Guerin and Currie surnames (plus variants), but can't find a marriage for Mary Ann and William Wilson.   :(

I also have no idea when they died.  So, my difficulty is, Wilson is such a common surname, that there are loads of them.  I have no death certificates, no marriages, and a choice of several William Wilsons born in Glasgow abt 1868, any one of which could be him.   ???

Any suggestions of where else I can look to determine who William's parents were?  I have tried Scotlands People, Ancestry, IGI and GenesReunited. 

Just need a big hammer for my brick wall. 

Many thanks in advance of any help.

Paul  :)
FLOWERDEW - Norfolk, GUERIN - London, HAMER - Wales, MARUBBI - Wales/Italy, HODGES - Cheshire, NOBBS - Yarmouth, Norfolk, WILLIAMS - Caernarfonshire, WILSON - Glasgow, WOOLSEY - Norfolk

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: William Wilson's Parents
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 11:35 GMT (UK) »
What are the names of your Grandmothers siblings ... there may be a clue there if they followed the "traditional" naming pattern (not always used though)

1st Son named after Fathers Father
2nd Son named after Mothers Father
3rd Son named after Father
4th Son named after Father's oldest brother
5th Son named after 2nd oldest brother or mother's oldest brother

1st Daughter named after Mothers Mother
2nd Daughter named after Fathers Mother
3rd Daughter named after Mother
4th Daughter named after Mothers  oldest sister
5th Daughter named after 2nd oldest sister or Fathers oldest sister

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Falkryn,

Thanks for responding.  Siblings of my grandmother are as follows:

William J Wilson b.1895
Lucy Wilson b.1896
Walter b.1897
Alexander b.1898
Martha (my grandmother) b.1899

Unfortunately, that is all I have on them at the moment.

Regards

Paul
FLOWERDEW - Norfolk, GUERIN - London, HAMER - Wales, MARUBBI - Wales/Italy, HODGES - Cheshire, NOBBS - Yarmouth, Norfolk, WILLIAMS - Caernarfonshire, WILSON - Glasgow, WOOLSEY - Norfolk

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately it looks as if they ignored the "traditional" pattern and went their own way.

Of all of the 13 yr old William Wilsons in the 1881 census none have a father that would have matched in with the siblings names... and all but two of these Williams are with families.

The odd two ...1 is working at 13 as a farm servant and the other is an inmate at an industrial school

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 22:36 GMT (UK) »
The BVRI has no exact matches for an 1868 birth date .... the nearest is 1869 and has William McVicar Wilson ......

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

Good luck to you if you're searching for a William Wilson!

Both my Grandfather & G/Grandfather were William Wilson's...& it was a nightmare searching through the endless lists on Ancestry etc...

I still have nagging doubts as to whether I eventually settled on the right one re: my Grandfather's birth cert...& I'm still unsure whether the Wilson's that I followed in Lancs. were a red herring...or not:-)

Best Wishes, Romilly. ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 February 06 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Looks like this one is going to be a headache searching.

Many thanks for all your help though, it is very much appreciated.