Author Topic: Parish Records Look up  (Read 1283 times)

Offline kimb1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Parish Records Look up
« on: Wednesday 15 February 06 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I Have hit a brick wall!

I have got back to GEORGE CHARLES BROOKER born in 1887,in tottenham. He died in the war at the age of 30 in France. He married Grace Emily Lancaster and then moved to tetford and had a boy also called George born in 1917. George   was 3 months old, when his dad died.

As far i as i have got, i have found GEORGE CHARLES' s mother was Elizabeth ( Maiden name unknown) born in c1873. I can not find any census infomation about his father.

Can any1 help

thank-you Kim

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records Look up
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kim
Did you get this information from the Commonwealth Graves Commission site?
I think you may find that George was not born in Tottenham - that was where his mother was living at the time of his death.
There is a birth ref on Free BMD as follows

Births Mar 1888

BROOKER  George Charles    Lewisham  1d 1185

Do you think this could be your man ?  If so, we can set about looking for him in the 1901 census.

Barbara

Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Do you have his marriage certificate? George C. Brooker m. Spilsby registration district Oct/Nov/Dec quarter 1915 to Grace E. Lancaster, volume 7a page 1751.

What information makes you sure that he was b. Tottenham? His mother lived there in 1917, but the closest birth registration I can find is for George Charles Brooker b. 1888 Mar quarter in Lewisham district, and I think this one is in Lewisham in 1901:

John Brooker, 38, b. Croydon Surrey, Bricklayer
Elizabeth, 34, b. Forest Hill, Kent
William, 15, b. "
George C., 13, b. "
Mabel, 8, b. "
Elsie, 5, b. "

If you think this might be him (and the marriage certificate confirms father as John), then you can get

If you have his marriage certificate and the father's name is not listed _and_ you have him as living in Tottenham in the censuses then that is a different matter and the baptism becomes possibly useful; it would help to know which church he was married in to confirm if he was CoE/nonconformist and to try and track down his birth certificate or at least an address on the 1891 census to work out which parish in Tottenham (there being more than one) he would most likely have been baptised in.

To be honest, finding people in London parish registers, especially in the later 1880s, is such a hassle and a difficulty unless you already know which church they were using that I wouldn't recommend it unless you really have exhausted other sources.  Particularly baptisms since they can take place months, even years after the birth (by which time, if you're one of my relatives, you've probably moved two parishes over to make sure you're impossible to find).

Offline kimb1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 06 09:38 GMT (UK) »
yes from all the census records i have collected this must be his family. Could anyone find out his parish so i can order a death and birth certfifcate if possible.

Thank-you

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 06 13:27 GMT (UK) »
'Forest Hill', his birthplace in 1901, is in Lewisham, so the reference that Barbara gives for the birth certificate in Lewisham should be the right one.  You can either contact Lewisham registry office directly, or order online at www.gro.gov.uk to get the certificate.

If he was CoE (you can get some idea of this from which church he was married in), these are the most likely churches he would be baptised in, but you don't need to know the parish to get a birth certificate, just the reference (that's why civil records are easier than parish records).

# Christ Church, Forest Hill (church built 1854; parish created 1855 from [1]) Original registers from 1854.
# St Saviour, Brockley Rise, Forest Hill (parish created 1866 from [12]) Original registers from 1867.
# St Paul, Waldenshaw Rd., Forest Hill (1883-1943 demolished) No Information

There are also these nonconformist churches in Forest Hill:
Baptist, Zion, Malham Rd., Forest Hill
Baptist, Dartmouth Rd., Forest Hill
Congregational, Queens Rd., later Taymount Rise Forest Hill
Presbyterian, St John, Devonshire Rd, Forest Hill
Methodist, Trinity Church New Connexion, Perry Vale, Forest Hill
Methodist, St James, Wastdale Rd, Forest Hill later Stanstead Rd
Methodist, Stansted Road, Forest Hill
Bible Christian, West Kent Park, Forest Hill
Other, Dietrich Bonhoeffer German Evangelical Church, Forest Hill

The birth certificate won't tell you where/when/if he was baptised, but it will give you an address you can use to work out which is the most likely family church.

For his death records, they would be found in seperate indexes as he d. in France.  The GRO can supply you with a certificate given the information you already  have about when he died, but you should be aware that the record will not give you any more information than you already have.

Offline GeoffP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Irish Grandmother Julia Sexton(Moxham)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 February 06 14:11 GMT (UK) »
 You probably have his details from CWG.

Death 26/4/1917  Arras Memorial

Son of Mrs Elizabeth Brooker, 247A West Green Rd, Tottenham

Husband of Grace Emily Brooker  Ormsby Rd, Tetford, Horncastle, Lincs

Lance Corporal  Kings Own Royal Lancashire Reg

Regards
                                               Geoff
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Peirce/Pierce/Pearce: Hungerford,Berks/Burbage Wilts.              
   Moxham: Monkton Farleigh, Wilts
   Sexton:Cork,Ireland, New York