Author Topic: Pembroke - Ship sunk ww2 by German U boats?  (Read 45581 times)

Offline Laverty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pembroke - Ship sunk ww2 by German U boats?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 June 11 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I know his port division was at Chatham. I also know that there have been Ships called HMS PEMBROKE as well as the Chatham base being called PEMBROKE. - this site is very interesting thank you

Hi I have been reading your entries re HMS Pembroke .. she sailed from Chatham Kent I have my Father's Papers he served on this Ship in 1941.. Have a picture of him with sone shipmates ..the Ship you want was serving during WW2 not sure if she was sunk or not.. but I have documentation re the ship. :)

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 June 11 08:47 BST (UK) »
What a great topic, just to add the pennant the uboat is flying is a victory flag with tonnage sunk during that patrol.

James

Offline blacky7

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 August 11 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I know his port division was at Chatham. I also know that there have been Ships called HMS PEMBROKE as well as the Chatham base being called PEMBROKE. - this site is very interesting thank you

Hi I have been reading your entries re HMS Pembroke .. she sailed from Chatham Kent I have my Father's Papers he served on this Ship in 1941.. Have a picture of him with sone shipmates ..the Ship you want was serving during WW2 not sure if she was sunk or not.. but I have documentation re the ship. :)
Could you please send me details of the ship please as my wife is trying to find out about her dad who was on this ship.
Thanks for any info.

Offline morskaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 November 11 02:18 GMT (UK) »
I have my father's Naval records in front of me and it says,  Pembroke - OrdSea - 4 Dec 43 - 6 Jan 44.
Later on the record it has Pembroke again - Able Seaman - and two dates in the same box, 4 Feb 44 and 20 Sep 44 - but only one 'end date' 20 Aug 46.  My father also said he was sunk in the Mediterranean Sea at some point on, '647 gunboat'. There is a book somewhere about the boat, which I will look for now when I can and there is also a photograph of the boat that I come across now and again and put away again.  I also have photographs which my father will have taken, of the crew of 647!!  There are lot's of photographs in his album with the names, 'Flash', 'Bob', 'Jock Petts', 'Jock Canavan', 'Bud Abbot' and 'Mickey Mouse 64th'.  Another has a few people on it and it says, Flash, Steve, Fred, Coxs, Jock.  I have just looked through the album further and there are many, many more 'photo's and names, to be honest, too many to go through ay 2:09 in the morning, I will try to list the names, but some of them are very hard to read.  One thing though, there is a photograph of a mine that was a dud, after much shooting trying to set it off, it was nicknamed 'Tinky Tonk'!!  There are references to Greece and Yugoslavia and a photo of '566 being towed by us'.  Hoping I can help someone, somewhere, See you later. Morskaj

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 11:56 GMT (UK) »
For the Timescale of WW2 There was no RN  Vessel named HMS PEMBROKE.
As well as barracks in Chatham, under various names PEMBROKE I to PEMBROKE X they were nominal accounting bases which personal were attached for the purpose of pay etc
It a little more complicated than that but to make it clear
No one sailed on a ship called HMS PEMBROKE simply because there was no such "ship"

morskaj
I think you should put your post here
http://cfv.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41
I am sure it will be well received.
I can find no evidence that MGB 647 was sunk, as far as I am aware she was scuttled at Malta in 1946
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline morskaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Scuttled?

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 21:44 GMT (UK) »
 Deliberately sinking a ship. 
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline swardle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 January 12 14:21 GMT (UK) »
HMS Pembroke was definitely landbased and I think it was a training establishment. I have a photo of my Uncle in his HMS Pembroke Uniform, but letters written later in 1944/45 are from the HMS Artifex . I had wondered why the name on his cap in the picture differed from the ship he sailed on, but I think the picure is from when he first joined, hence the link with training.

HMS Artifex was the new name for the Aurania after it was repaired from the torpedo attack and converted to a support ship. See wikipedia, where the sole survivor's capture/rescue by the German crew is mentioned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Artifex_%28F28%29

Offline Fredg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 April 12 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Hello Laverty, was reading with interest yr message re HMS Pembroke, my father served on this ship from March to Nov 1941 and he told me that he sunk two uboats.  I would be very interested in seeing picture and document re the ship, I also have my father's records.