Author Topic: McRae / Morison and Voy family questions  (Read 2760 times)

Offline johnmcrae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McRae / Morison and Voy family questions
« on: Thursday 16 February 06 00:28 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying for a while to get back further in my Highland family connections without any luck.

I have a Roderick McRae (born Urray ABT 1798) who was married to Ann Morison (born Urray ABT 1803).  The location is through family word of mouth so may not be 100% accurate.  However I have certificate evidence that they had some of their family in Urray - Alexander (b 17/12/1822), Catherine (b 16/11/1824) and Murdoch (b 15/9/1826) all in Urray.  They then moved to Kilmorack and had a son called Donald (laterly known as Daniel) in Beauly on 26/1/1829.

They then moved to Dundee where the family have been ever since.

Roderick was employed as a wood sawer in any certificates and censuses that I can find.

Rodericks parents were Roderick McRae (flesher) and Mary Voy.  Other than their names gained from death certificates I know nothing about them.

Ann Morisons parents were Murdoch Morison (crofter) and Catherine Morison (MS).  Again I know nothing about them.

I would like to get further back but do not know if they moved to the area when married and started their family there or were always resident here.

I have looked through the parish registers in the Inverness library but the quality of the file is poor and not easy to read for these dates, so it is difficult to get any other information.  I have also looked through the IGI data without any success.

Does anyone have any of these people in their tree or can anyone suggest other areas where I can continue searching?

Thanks for any help
John
Aberdeenshire: Ross, Wright, McWilliams, Skene, Ritchie, Sim.
Angus:  Cochrane, Stewart, Baillie, Cochrane, Gavin(e), McMurchie, Murphy, Wright, Hutcheon, McRae, Findlay, McWilliams, Kerr, Ross, Kidd, Edward(s), Maver, Michie, Angus, Allan, Baxter.
Fife: Bett, Louden, Scot(t), Berrie, Watson, Whytt, Stewart, Clark, Beveridge, Butter
Perthshire: Doctor, Henderson, Macrae, Smith, Grimmond, Marr, Baillie, Shepherd, Burry.
Highland: McRae, Morison, Voy.
Lanark: Hawthorn, Malarky, Winchcole, Reid

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: McRae / Morison and Voy family questions
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 06 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello John
Welcome to Rootschat... I saw your post a while back and didn't think that I could help but have been thinking about where I search for my McRae's and have come up with a few suggestions to a beginner also searching for McRae's

See  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,138442.0.html

Sometimes just a simple Google or other search engine search using the name and place comes up trumps  :)

Elaine  :)
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk