Author Topic: Scott - Stroud area, early 20th century- HELP!  (Read 7142 times)

Offline Jenie_Oakley75

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census Information is Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Scott - Stroud area, early 20th century- HELP!
« on: Thursday 16 February 06 06:18 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for the family of my husband's elusive great grandfather George Henry Scott, born around 1895. He is said to have come from Stroud, Gloucestershire. On his marriage certificate in 1920 (by which time he had moved to Maidenhead, Berkshire having served in France in WWI - we don't know in which regiment) his father was given as William Scott (deceased), Collier. He also had a brother called William E. Scott and sister-in-law Dorothy (married before 1935). I have found a William Edward Scott born 1908 Dursley RD and died Gloucester RD 1989, but have not been able to find a birth for a George (Henry) Scott anywhere near Stroud in the right era or to find a George (Henry) Scott of the right age with a father William living in Gloucestershire on the 1901 census,  ??? :-\ so I am working on the theory that the family might have moved to the area from another part of the country (the mining aspect also makes me wonder that) sometime around 1901-1908.  ??? Although I have noticed that there were other George Henry Scotts in Stroud RD at earlier dates.  ::) I would really appreciate any help! Thank you. :)

Jenie

PS I am indebted to Little Nell on the Berkshire boards for even getting this far, as she was able to find and send me a newspaper report about George Henry Scott's untimely and tragic death :( in an accident at work - thank you again Nell if you see this! :)
Oakley, Goring, Briars, Webster, Parker, Ellis, Mardlin, Dodds, Maddams, Payton, Bygrave, Birkinshaw, Smith, Barker, Chalkley, Waudby, Denton, Kilby, Marlow, Childs, Coleman, Gray, Bickerton, Colley, Hirst, Jackson, Atkin, Edson, Gale, Linsley, Brazier, Dicks, Harris, Clapham, Summerly, Usher, Spicer, Bunnage, Walker, Benson, Shaw, Hartley, Vasey, Creasaw, Mawe, Palfrey, Marshall, Clement, Nicholson, Kirton, Wright, Appleton, Humble, Stamper, Thorpe, Sharp, Wikinson, Raper, Owen, Hanscom, Hill.

Offline dgabb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scott - Stroud area, early 20th century- HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 March 06 20:50 GMT (UK) »
???do you know if George henry Scott died in ww1 as my great  grandad did i found his records on military-genealogy.com on the 3rd page there is a George henry Scott from knowle bristol that is about 20 miles away from here in stroud i still have credits with this site will look up for you if you think its him?

Offline Jenie_Oakley75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 March 06 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for your offer, but no George Henry Scott definitely did not die in WWI. I am considering war records as a possible way forward, but probably won't be able to get to London any time soon to look them up, and I understand that it is much harder to trace people that survived the war.

Jenie
Oakley, Goring, Briars, Webster, Parker, Ellis, Mardlin, Dodds, Maddams, Payton, Bygrave, Birkinshaw, Smith, Barker, Chalkley, Waudby, Denton, Kilby, Marlow, Childs, Coleman, Gray, Bickerton, Colley, Hirst, Jackson, Atkin, Edson, Gale, Linsley, Brazier, Dicks, Harris, Clapham, Summerly, Usher, Spicer, Bunnage, Walker, Benson, Shaw, Hartley, Vasey, Creasaw, Mawe, Palfrey, Marshall, Clement, Nicholson, Kirton, Wright, Appleton, Humble, Stamper, Thorpe, Sharp, Wikinson, Raper, Owen, Hanscom, Hill.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 March 06 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenie

Sorry you have not had much response to this.

I had a look for your man without success.  I wonder whether it would be worth investing in the brother's marriage cert to see whether it is any more helpful?

About mining: there were several areas of Gloucestershire that were notable for mining - Frampton Cotterell area and the Forest of Dean being the principle ones.  Also the Bedminster area of Bristol and Kingswood in south Gloucestershire.  So it is not impossible that he was a Gloucestershire.  I could be wrong, but I don't recall any mining in the Dursley/ Stroud area - will have a look for you.

Did William jr move away from Gloucestershire too? 

Good luck with your search

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Jenie_Oakley75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 March 06 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

Thanks. Yes, the brother's marriage certificate is another possibilty I suppose. I am also considering paying a researcher to look up George's WWI records (if they have survived) as I am not able to get to the PRO in the near future. Thank you for the info about mining in Gloucestershire; that's useful to know. I did find a George Scott in Bristol in 1901, but he was a few years too old (unless of course the ages on George Henry Scott's marriage and death certificates are incorrect). I don't think that his father was a collier either. William Jr seems to have stayed in Stroud, as the funeral report for George (1935) said that his brother had travelled from Stroud. I found a possible birth certificate reference for 1908 (which would make William about 13 years younger than George) for William with a matching death certificate reference, and if this is the correct one he was still living in Gloucestershire when he died.

Jenie

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 March 06 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Jeni

It strikes me that in the grand scheme of things, this is not in the distant past and we should be a bit careful that the people concerned are not still alive - slight possibility!

There are definitely still SCOTTs in the Dursley area, judging by the phone book.

I wonder if you have managed to locate a date for Dorothy's death?  There is a possible match:

Dorothy Beryl SCOTT d Gloucester 1997 (born 1914) - but would she be too young?

(My reasoning is that if you can find a suitable record, it might prove whether William stayed in the area or not).

I am assuming there are no living relatives left to ask? You could try writing to SCOTTs in the Dursley area or putting an ad in the local paper (Thornbury Gazette,  Stroud News & Journal or The Western Daily Press?)

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Jenie_Oakley75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 01:32 GMT (UK) »
My husband's grandfather has been dead for about 20 years now but we wrote to both of his brothers (only one is still alive now)  some years ago to ask for any information on the Scott family, but they knew very little about their father's side having been very young when he died. The death for Dorothy does sound possible, especially if the 1908 birth for William is the correct one. All that I know is that they were married before 1935 when George died (their message from the flowers in the funeral article only gave their names, no children or family mentioned), so if Dorothy was born in 1914 she would have been 20-21 by then. Thanks for your help & ideas.

Jenie

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 March 06 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenie

I know this is a bit of a long shot, but I'm going into Stroud library on Monday to look up something for another RootsChatter and I thought perhaps it would be worthwhile having a look in the Stroud and Dursley parish records for George Henry's birth and perhaps William E's as well.

Of course they could have been baptised at any village in the area (or not at all if they were non-conformists  ::) ) but I'm happy to have a look around 1895 and onwards if that might help.

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Jenie_Oakley75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 March 06 12:42 GMT (UK) »
THank you that would be a big help :) :) if you have the time to take a quick look - even if all that it does is rule out those parishes it is still a start.George Henry Scott was born about 1895, not sure about his brother William E. Scott's DOB (though he was married by 1935) - there was one born 1908 in Stroud district but perhaps not the right one. George's father was William Scott and he was a collier (though of course might have done other jobs as well). William had died by 1920. Not much to go on I'm afraid but anything that you are able to check would be a huge help. Thank you again.  :D ;D :)

Jenie

PS I have also now submitted letters to all 3 newspapers listed above by Arranroots - thank you. :)