Author Topic: Scott - Stroud area, early 20th century- HELP!  (Read 7144 times)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Scott - Stroud area, early 20th century- HELP!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 March 06 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenie

That's fine - I'll have a sniff around and see what I can find, if anything. As you say, it might be useful for elimination purposes if nothing else!

I'll let you know how I get on next week

Best wishes

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Jenie_Oakley75

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census Information is Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 March 06 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Angela - greatly appreciated. :) :)

Jenie
Oakley, Goring, Briars, Webster, Parker, Ellis, Mardlin, Dodds, Maddams, Payton, Bygrave, Birkinshaw, Smith, Barker, Chalkley, Waudby, Denton, Kilby, Marlow, Childs, Coleman, Gray, Bickerton, Colley, Hirst, Jackson, Atkin, Edson, Gale, Linsley, Brazier, Dicks, Harris, Clapham, Summerly, Usher, Spicer, Bunnage, Walker, Benson, Shaw, Hartley, Vasey, Creasaw, Mawe, Palfrey, Marshall, Clement, Nicholson, Kirton, Wright, Appleton, Humble, Stamper, Thorpe, Sharp, Wikinson, Raper, Owen, Hanscom, Hill.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 March 06 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenie

Well, I've been to the library but it didn't turn up anything I'm afraid  :(

The main parish records for Stroud stop at 1894 (would you believe it!) I checked 1893/1894 for George Henry but no go.....

The parish of Holy Trinity, Stroud started up in 1879 and their parish records covered the right period - I checked 1893-1900 but nothing there.

Typically, the library copies of Dursley records stop at 1867, so they were no good either. For what it's worth, they did have records for Coaley and he wasn't there.

The Record Office at Gloucester should have more records both for Stroud St Lawrence and Dursley. I know some people do go fairly frequently to the record office, so perhaps they could check for you?

Sorry about that  :(

Best wishes

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Jenie_Oakley75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 03:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

Thank you very much for checking for me :) - it all helps with the process of elimination for me :) Perhaps I will hear something eventually via the newspapers that I wrote to as well. Thanks again for looking for me. :)

Jenie
Oakley, Goring, Briars, Webster, Parker, Ellis, Mardlin, Dodds, Maddams, Payton, Bygrave, Birkinshaw, Smith, Barker, Chalkley, Waudby, Denton, Kilby, Marlow, Childs, Coleman, Gray, Bickerton, Colley, Hirst, Jackson, Atkin, Edson, Gale, Linsley, Brazier, Dicks, Harris, Clapham, Summerly, Usher, Spicer, Bunnage, Walker, Benson, Shaw, Hartley, Vasey, Creasaw, Mawe, Palfrey, Marshall, Clement, Nicholson, Kirton, Wright, Appleton, Humble, Stamper, Thorpe, Sharp, Wikinson, Raper, Owen, Hanscom, Hill.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenie

I'll keep my fingers crossed on the newspapers front  ;D

If you do get anything, please let us know - I'm intrigued!

Best wishes

Angela

Offline Jenie_Oakley75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 May 06 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela,

Just want to let you know that I have had two replies, and the second of these has tied in for me that they both relate to the right family. :) Not much more to go on relating to the parents of George Henry & William E. Scott (apart from that their father might have been George, not William but still a coal miner, and that the surname Treasure is connected somewhere), but at least now I know a little more about William E. & his family and have even received a photo. :) Thanks again for your help.

Jenie

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 May 06 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenie

Thanks for letting us know what happened  ;D

It's good that at least you have a little bit more to go on! I must admit that I've often got further with tracing things back through siblings than through the direct line, so perhaps that's a more promising route for you too  :)

If there's anything we can help with on the looking-up front then please do say....

Good luck and best wishes in the hunt

Angela

Offline Jenie_Oakley75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 May 06 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela,

Thank you. :) Well I have managed to make further progress by finding a marriage between a George Scott (not William) & a Phoebe Treasure in 1892,  :D ;D although this took place in Somerset not Gloucestershire - and in a mining area, as I soon discovered, which fits in nicely. I also found Phoebe Treasure on each census year (not difficult with an unusual name like that) and traced her family pretty well with the IGI combined with census returns, although George Scott remains a bit of a mystery until the marriage certificate arrives, as he had died before 1901 and Phoebe had already remarried but her sons William & George Scott (aged 11 and 6 - the correct age for george Henry) appear with her and her 2nd husband at Frenchmoor, Hampshire on the 1901 census (so the move to Stroud clearly took place later on). George's birthplace is shown as Bath, which has allowed me to order his birth certificate, as well as his mother's and his parents' marriage certificate.   :) :D

Jenie

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 May 06 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeni,

That's BRILLIANT news  ;D  I bet you're thrilled after all this time - I know I would be!

Well done and I hope your run of luck continues  ::)

Angela