Author Topic: Marriage lookup  (Read 4730 times)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Marriage lookup
« on: Monday 19 January 04 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the marriage and parents of John Young and Agnes Twaddle,as far as i know they came from Sanquer in Dumfrishire.Thankyou.Anne.
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline tuatha

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re:Marriage lookup
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 February 04 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,

John Young ands Agnes Twaddle were married 15 June 1866 at Sanquhar, Dumfrieeshire. Can' find any record of children. Lots of John Young's. Do you think he was born Sanquhar. I will check the 1851 Census and see what is there.

Cheers,

MAGGIE :)

Offline tuatha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 February 04 02:58 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the 1851 Census. An Agnes Twaddle aged 6 was living at High Street, Sanquhar in her grandfather's household. He was John Cringan (born Sanquhar), a Retired Collier aged 58. Also in the household - Agnes Cringan his wife aged 60 born Sanquhar, Janet daughter a Muslin Embroiderer aged 26 unmarried, William Cringan, grandson aged 1 born Glasgow.

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 February 04 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Maggie,thankyou so much for the marriage date for John and Agnes.All i have that may make some sense to you is,my Grt Grandfather,their son William Young was born in Dalmellington in 1877 and married Jessie Lammie at Hillend Kirkconnell in 1898. These are his siblings,Elizabeth Russle Stewart Young born 31st March 1869,dont know where.Robert born 4th July 1871,dont know where,Agnes born 21st May 1874,thats all i have but my dad said there were more but he cant remember how many.Also Maggie excuse my stupidity,but am i right in thinking that John Cringans daughter must have married a Twaddle,and his grandson William aged 1 must be his sons son.Anyway Maggie thankyou again so much for your kindness.Anne.:-*

Offline tuatha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 February 04 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Another scenario re Agnes' parentage could be that she was the illegitimate daughter of Janet (Embroiderer) aged 26. It was not unusual in Scotland for a child born out of wedlock to have her father's name.

Also she could be the child of another daughter married to a Twaddle, who was not present on census night. She could be a widow, who was working away from her parents' home and they were looking after Agnes.

A Scottish family of my husband's raised three of their grandchildren. They were parents of the fathers. I don't know where the mothers went to, but the dads shot off overseas. (None of these were married).

Have you considered searching on Tweedale. I sort of think I have seen that as a variant of Twaddle. Will have a look at the census and see if I can find anyone who looks likely for the father.

Cheers,

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 February 04 19:19 GMT (UK) »
 :)Hi again Maggie,and once again thankyou.I was wondering if it was worth looking at the 1861 census to see if she is still living with her grandparents,she should by this time be aged 16.I am going to have a look at the lds sight and see if i can find an Agnes Twaddle born 1845ish.If i cant find her parents there i dont know where else to look.As for John Youngs parents,they named their daughter Elizabeth Russle Stewart Young,so i am presuming that the 2 middle names may be after John and Agnes mothers,i will see what i can dig up from the lds.If you have the 1861 census would you mind having a look to see if she is still there.Thankyou again.Anne.

Offline tuatha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 February 04 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Sorry I haven't answered your query. I don't have access to the 1861 census. Do you subscribe to any mailing lists on rootsweb. You could put a query on one of those. Let me know and I will find a suitable one for you.

Sorry about the tardiness of the reply. Have been under water, well not the house, but the surrounding land and without power for over a week. Massive floods here in the lower half of the North Island of New Zealand.

Did you find anything on your family on the IGI?

Cheers,

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 February 04 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie,sorry to hear about your flood problem,we get a lot of floods in England because it rains most of the time.Thankfully i havent faced flooding and i hope i dont have to.Anyway i got side tracked looking for something else and havent checked LDS yet but i will.I will let you know the outcome,and thankyou again for your help.Good luck with your flood.Anne. :)